Chapter Thirteen

Wes ~

Every muscle in my body screamed in protest as I walked away from Colt, choosing to leave instead of fight. I wanted nothing more than to teach him the lesson he deserved to learn in the most painful way possible. I wanted to knock his teeth down his throat and watch him choke on his own blood, but I couldn't. I had something precious tucked under my arm that needed to get as far away from Colt as possible.

My back molars were clenched so hard I thought they might crack as Colt yelled after us, but I stayed the course toward Gracie's car, praying for the self control that I needed to maintain my forward momentum and to resist the urge to turn around and beat the living shit out of Colt.

The run in I had with Collin had seemed to literally knock some sense into him, causing him to understand the gravity of the situation that Colt was about to put himself in by calling my bluff. Collin held Colt back, but a part of me wished he hadn't. Just one solid right hook would crumple that piece of shit and my fists ticked and flinched as the thought crossed my mind, involuntarily preparing themselves for the task.

My body was ready and bloodthirsty - hungry for the opportunity to put fist to flesh, but I couldn't let that side of me take over at the moment. I was an absolute animal in the ring, but I wasn't all beast all the time. The analytical side of my mind weighed every option and sized up every opponent to put me in the best position to take control and win, and for this particular situation winning meant getting Gracie to my house with as little drama as possible.

Sure I could turn around and deliver a few punishing blows to Colt's smug face. It would be easy money for me, but that would mean I'd have to untuck Gracie from my side and leave her unattended while I put in work, and that was out of the question. I had given her my word that I wouldn't leave her side and I never go back on my word.

The fighter inside me protested and screamed, pouring adrenaline into my veins to get me amped up and taunting me internally in an attempt to give in to my blood lust for Colt.

I had to flex every muscle in my body to maintain my self control, and felt Gracie's small body tremble slightly against my torso as Colt spewed vicious words at her from behind.

I need to get Gracie out of here now. That bastard's words hurt her just as badly as his hands do and she's been through enough. This ends now and we're leaving.

Gracie settled herself into the passenger side of her car and I shut the door, sending a ferocious gaze over to Colt who must have had a sudden wave of stupidity wash over him as he took a few steps towards the car.

I clicked the lock button with my thumb and pinned Colt with a pointed gaze, making my way around the back of the car toward the driver side.

"She's been with me for six years, you think I'm just going to let her walk away?" Colt said, practically gnashing his teeth at me.

"That's exactly what you're gonna do if you want the blood that's inside your body to stay there. But I'd be happy to spill it all over this pavement for you, so just say the fuckin word."

Colt took another senseless step forward.

You really wanna challenge me little man?

"Take one more fucking step. Call my bluff...I dare you." I growled, rolling my shoulder back in a circular motion to loosen up my arms.

Collin intervened immediately, standing in front of Colt and pushing him backwards to try and stop his idiotic friend from making the biggest mistake of his life.

"He's good Wes, we're leaving." Collin said, looking over his shoulder at me with fear in his eyes that was food for my soul.

"That's what I thought."