Chapter Eight

Wes~

Lucky's Bar was packed with people that night, and by some miracle Chad was able to score us a table.

I perched my large body on a stool and started scanning the crowded bar, hoping to find someone to take my mind off of Gracie and distract me enough to forget about her. My eyes swept the room landing on a few random women who piqued my interest, but it only took a second or two for them to become dull and lackluster.

I huffed out an irritated breath and stood, deciding to take a lap around the crowded room with my beer in hand. I passed several beautiful faces that undressed me with their eyes as I passed, but I couldn't bring myself to care. A few of them easily grabbed my attention, but none of them couldn't hold it for more than a few seconds before I became completely uninterested.

Why am I being so damn picky tonight?

After my unsuccessful trip around the perimeter of the room, I reclaimed my seat next to Blake, trying to hide how pissed I was at my mind's betrayal and refusal to cooperate. Blake's voice pulled me from my angry haze and refocused my attention

"Blondie at the bar has been eye fucking you since you walked in, Wes." Blake said with a grin, tipping the mouth of his beer in the direction of a girl that was leaned against the bar, giving me an unapologetically seductive stare.

"She's cute, I guess." I said unenthusiastically without any intention of going to talk to her.

"Just cute?" Chad asked, looking over at the blonde again, who was typically the exact type of girl I'd be pursuing.

"Are we looking at the same girl? What's wrong with you?" Chad was in complete disbelief at my response.

I brushed off Chad's question, but saw a wide grin stretched across Blakes's mouth that made me want to punch him square in the face.

"What he means is, she's cute...but she's not as cute as Gracie," Blake sneered, taking a sip of his beer.

Dammit Blake. Always runnin' that mouth.

"Gracie?" Chad asked, raising his brows at me in surprise.

"He let her sleep in his bed last night." Blake added cheerfully, throwing a playful elbow into my side.

"No way. Who the hell are you and what have you done with Wes?" Chad joked, looking me up and down as if I were an imposter

No shit. I'm trying to figure that myself. But Blake is making it seem like I fucked her and that definitely didn't happen.

"Woah woah woah, Slow your damn role. She slept in my bed after I had already left for work. Nothing happened."

"Whatever you say, man." Blake said, exchanging a knowing glance with Chad as if I wasn't sitting right there.

Jackasses.

I tipped my beer back, chugging the contents when Maggie appeared in my peripheral vision with Amanda standing at her side.

"Hey strangers." Maggie said sweetly.

She patted me on the back as she made her way over to Chad, planting a kiss on his lips before turning to place her drink on the table alongside Amanda, who was eyeing me a little harder than she had the night before.

Trying to act as casual as possible, I slowly swiveled my head from side to side, looking for the only face that I wanted to see - the face that I had been desperate to see all day, but too much of a chicken shit to admit.

"Where's Gracie and Laura?" Blake asked on my behalf as if he could read my mind. Blake was a jackass, but he was one hell of a wingman.

"Laura is still hungover from last night and Gracie was at a study group in the library last I talked to her."