𝟎𝟑 | seems like fate

I felt my hands shake a bit as I blankly stared at the wall behind Jean

When the police told me my mother was dead, they also told me that they found a red string tied around her ring finger.

They asked me if it was just a simple accessory my mother liked to wear, but I told them that I've never seen my mom wear something like that. Not even once.

Also apparently, there was no blood on the red string that was on my mother's finger even though the murder was... absolutely bloody. So it's most likely that the red string was tied around her ring finger after she was killed.

That led them to believe that she was most probably targeted- murdered for a very specific reason.

The only people that know the truth about my mother is Jean, Kaeya, some other friends of mine, and my adoptive family.

"Yes... my mother had a red string tied around her ring finger, based on my recollection."

I said with a shaky breath. I tried to sense my breathing so that I could relax myself and my heart.

It helped a little bit, but it didn't help with the empty void I was feeling inside of me.

I suddenly felt warmth on my right hand.

I looked to my right hand and I saw Kaeya's hand right on top of mine.

"Can you still go on? You can leave if it's too much for you. I can investigate this case myself if so." He said with a soft tone.

I took one deep breath, "It's alright. I'm alright. Please continue, Jean."

She nodded as she looked at me with gentle eyes, "If you say so... Here's the special thing about this case. The first and second victim had a red string tied around their middle finger. The third victim's red string was around her pinky finger. And as for the most recent victim, the red string was tied around his ring finger."

Just like how it was with my mother's.

"This leads us to believe that there's a reason why they were killed. We still don't know the meaning of each finger where the red string is tied to though. We're also not sure if it's just one killer or if there's more. If there's one thing they're good at aside from killing, then it's the fact that they amazingly leave no evidence despite the killings being brutal and bloody."

I stayed quiet, trying to think.

"What if there's no meaning behind the red strings and the fingers? What if it's just something the perpetrator did so that it would confuse us and get us on the wrong track? At least, that's what I'd most probably do if I were the killer." Kaeya stated whilst tapping his chin.

"No, I doubt that's the case." I said.

Jean and Kaeya looked at me but I kept my eyes glued to the floor.

"My gut feeling tells me that our recent killer is the same person that killed my mom. It could also be that the Liyue West High killer has a connection to the person or group that killed my mother. Rosalyn L/N's murder wasn't announced publicly and is only known to a few people, so I doubt the current murderer is some random copycat. I have a strong feeling that there's a meaning behind the fingers where the red string is tied to, and that's what Kaeya and I are going to find out."

"If there's one thing I'm sure of about Y/N, it's that her gut feeling is usually right."

Kaeya looked at me and I locked eyes with him, finding assurance in his soft gaze.

"Seems like fate, huh? That you're assigned to a case that could possibly be related to your mother's death."

I slightly smiled, "For once, fate actually seems to be doing me a favour right now. Any more details we need to know?"

Jean fixed the papers she was holding, "Another connection between the four victims is that the first two victims are friends with each other. They've known each other for a while and the only information we have on them is that they both come from poor backgrounds."

"Aside from that, there's no other connections. As for your cover as transferees, you don't have to fake your identities."

"Since we don't want anyone knowing that you study here, you guys will claim that you are students from Monstadt High. Lady Ningguang, the head of Liyue West High, is aware of this top secret case so she knows everything about our plan of action. And Barbara, the head of Mondstadt High, who's also my sister, is willing to cooperate too."

"Lastly, it would be most preferable if you do not mention this case or the fact that you guys are actually students of Favonius Academy to anyone. We don't want innocent people to be dragged into this case. Or worst case scenario, we don't want to accidentally tell someone about the case without knowing that they're actually the killer we've been looking for."

Oh no...

"Um... Jean...?" I muttered softly but she was still able to hear it.

"Is there something wrong, L/N?"

I licked my dry lips, "What if someone who's really close to me and knows all about me goes to Liyue West High? More specifically, my adoptive brother?"

[ 𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄 ]

LMFAO the ending of this chapter sounded more dramatic in my head but now that i properly wrote it, it doesn't feel like it anymore 💀 if you guys don't get it, the issue is that since Y/N'S adoptive brother studies in Liyue West High, Y/N will ha...

LMFAO the ending of this chapter sounded more dramatic in my head but now that i properly wrote it, it doesn't feel like it anymore 💀 if you guys don't get it, the issue is that since Y/N'S adoptive brother studies in Liyue West High, Y/N will have no choice but to tell him about the top secret investigation because it'll seem more suspicious if she lies. it's not really all that bad but it's possible that he might be dragged along into the case, which is dangerous.

anyways, who do you guys think is Y/N's adoptive brother? i won't be giving out any hints lol (though i'm sure that the name of the next chapter is a pretty obvious clue) 😴 don't forget to vote/like this chapter before continuing! it would also be much appreciated if you tell your friends about this fanfiction so that they can read it too.