A New Thing

Kendall had, for once in her life, had gotten ready for school early and was ready to go by 7 o'clock instead of 7:45

Kendall had, for once in her life, had gotten ready for school early and was ready to go by 7 o'clock instead of 7:45. She was on the couch with her grandma, feeling propped up on the coffee table as Family Feud played on the TV. Kendall watched mindlessly as Helena read the newspaper, mumbling answer to the questions asked on the television, letting out small but satisfied hims when she got an answer right.

The sound of a rusty car pulling up made Kendall look up from the TV and towards her window, unknowingly smiling at Jonathan's car driving up and parking in front of her house.

"That's my ride." Kendall mumbled, leaning over to kiss her grandmas cheek before grabbing her backpack and heading outside towards the car.

As she got closer to the car she noticed Jonathan hadn't realized she was outside as he looked ahead of the road, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel. Kendall smiled, trying to open the passenger door but it was locked, making Jonathan jump slightly and turn to her.

Kendall laughed, pointing down at the lock and he quickly leaned over the center console, unlocking the door and opening it for her from the inside.

She let out a playful 'ohhh' as she got in, throwing her bag in the backseat. "Such a gentleman." She mumbled sarcastically, making Jonathan raise his eyebrows as he held back a smile. "She makes jokes at 7:30. How wonderful. Didn't even think you'd be up yet."

Jonathan started driving as Kendall lifted her chin up higher, proud of herself. "It's a new thing." Jonathan let out a small snicker at her words, turning to her quickly before looking back at the road. "But why?"

Kendall playfully rolled her eyes, turning to him. "Obviously to hang out with you." Jonathan scoffed at her words, turning to her as he tried to hold back a smile. "Oh, because I'm so amazing?"

"The best." Kendall said, making Jonathan smile, looking back ahead.

"Besides me, of course." Kendall said, making Jonathan laugh. Kendall smiled at the fact she got him to laugh as he pulled into a parking spot at the school.

...

"When does lunch end?" Jonathan asked and Kendall furrowed her brows, checking her watch. "About 10 minutes."

Jonathan quickly nodded, making Kendall let out a laugh. "Hey... Where are you going?" Jonathan got up from the table, giving her a small smile. "I need to develop some photos. Do you need a ride after school?"

Kendall nodded and Jonathan smiled, nodding before walking away. Kendall stabbed her fork into her salad as she looked up, her eyes locking on Nancy with Steve's arms wrapped around her from a couple tables away.