Shared Trauma

After hours of working on changing the tape, Kendall, Murray, and Jonathan had finally made the perfect copy

"You see why I have to stop the truth from spreading, too. Just the same as those weeds there. By whatever means necessary."

When the tape turned off, Murray leaned back in his loveseat as he cheered. He raised his glass of watered down vodka into the air to cheers the two teenagers. "To taking down the man." Murray sang and both Kendall and Jonathan smiled. "To taking down the man!"

Neither of the teens took sips of their drinks and after getting more comfortable in is seat, Murray noticed and sighed. "Commie bastards sure know how to make a spirit. Am I right?" He asked, gesturing to Kendall and Jonathan's glasses.

Kendall and Jonathan shook their heads, neither of them moving to grab their drinks. "Oh, no, no, no. We... we can't." Kendall said and Jonathan nodded in agreement with her. "Yeah, no. No, I've got to drive."

"Drive? What, tonight?" Murray laughed out and Kendall's brows furrowed at the mans laugh. "Our families–" "Would be proud if they knew what you were up to. Just tell 'em you're at Nancy's or Dawn's or whoever's, and take my guest room." Murray interrupted.

Kendall and Jonathan turned to each other at the same time, Jonathan's brows raised. "I mean, do... do you want to stay?" He asked and Kendall leaned back into the couch she and Jonathan were sharing, nodding her head. "Well, it is pretty late."

Jonathan gulped, muttering a small "okay" before he turned to Murray and cleared his throat. "Could I use the sofa?" Jonathan asked. Kendall rolled her eyes, putting her hand on Jonathan's shoulder. The boy turned his head to Kendall, his eyes wide and his cheeks tinging red slightly.

"Come on. I'm not gonna make you take the sofa." Kendall tried to reason as Murray watched the two teens with a confused, but overall amused smile. "Okay, I'm confused. What's going on here? A lovers' quarrel?" He asked and the two teens whipped their heads to face Murray, Jonathan looking scared and Kendall looking embarrassed.

"What?" Kendall asked as Jonathan started to shake his head crazily. "We're just friends." He said. Murray threw his head back, drunkly cackling in to the air. He looked back at the teens and sighed to control his laughter. "You've told me a lot of shockers today, but that, that is the first lie."

Kendall immediately started to shake her head defensively. "It's not a lie." Kendall said and Murray rose his eyebrows. "No?" He asked and Kendall gulped as he continued. "You're young, attractive. You've got chemistry, history, plus the real shit, shared trauma. Both of your brothers disappearing last year. Trust issues, am I right?" He asked before pointing at Jonathan. "Something to do with your dad."

Jonathan was taken aback by that comment. He shook his head, no longer meeting the man's eyes. "What? No, I mean, my dad's..."

"An asshole." Kendall muttered, finishing Jonathan's sentence as she looked down at her hands in her lap. Jonathan turned to Kendall, his gaze softening when he noticed the glum look on her face. Murray took noticed of this and pointed at Kendall. "And your dad..."