Listening In

The morning after the party, Kendall went to school and she could immediately tell she was one of the only people there not hungover

The morning after the party, Kendall went to school and she could immediately tell she was one of the only people there not hungover. When lunch rolled around, she sat outside on the little benches by the parking lot. When she passed Nancy in the halls, Nancy asked if she could meet at the benches to talk with her at lunch.

When lunch rolled around, Kendall waited at the benches like Nancy had asked and when Nancy came over, she sat on the bench and sighed. Kendall looked at Nancy with an amused smile, tilting her head at the younger girl. "What did you want to talk about?"

Nancy sighed, her elbows going on her knees and her face falling in her hands. She sat there for a few seconds before turning her head to Kendall. "Steves mad at me. Apparently I did a bunch of things while I was drunk but I can't remember."

Kendall pursed her lips, moving sound on the bench so she was facing Nancy. "Well, what do you remember?" Kendall asked.

Nancy sighed, squinting at the ground to help her remember. "I remember dancing, and... spilling some punch. Steve got mad at me because I was drunk... and I apparently, told Steve we killed Barb and that he doesn't care, 'cause he's bullshit..." Nancy said before she sighed. "And I don't love him."

Kendall's mouth immediately formed an "o", not expecting that. "Oh, shit." She muttered under her breath and Nancy heard, making her let out a sad sigh. "So it's true."

Kendall turned her head back to Nancy, shaking her head. "Well, I don't know about the Barb, bullshit or the you don't love Steve parts but I know he was upset after he went to help you clean the punch off. I mean, he was... He was really upset. But he was still worried about you."  Kendall said but Nancy continued to frown, her eyes trained on the floor.

Kendall reached her leg over and lightly kicked Nancy. "You need to cut yourself some slack, okay?" Kendall told Nancy, tilting her head slightly before shrugging.

"People say stupid shit when they're wasted. Things they don't mean." Kendall said and Nancy shut her eyes guiltily before sighing. "Yeah, but that's the thing. What if I did mean it? All this time, I've been trying so hard to pretend like everything's fine, but it's not. I... I feel like there's this... I don't know, like this..."

Kendall frowned at Nancy's loss for words, knowing exactly how she was feeling for Barb going to the upside down, Kendall feeling that same guiltiness about Marcus. "Like there's this weight you're carrying around with you all the time?" Kendall asked, making Nancy turn to her. Kendall gave her a small, hoping it would reassure her a bit to know she's not alone. "I feel it, too."

"Yeah, but it's different for you." Nancy said, leaning over and resting her hand on Kendall's knee. "Marcus came home."

Kendall squinted, frowning at Nancy's words. She shook her head before looking off down to the exit of the school parking lot. "Yeah. Yeah, he did. But he's not the same." Kendall muttered. She didn't blame Marcus, of course. If she was stuck in the upside down for over a week, she wouldn't be the same as she was before either.