eight

KIM YUN

I carry out my usual tasks with the previous night on my mind. It was the worst fight we'd had. We don't even usually fight. The worst it had gotten before this was us arguing over what flavour of ice cream to buy for Chenle's birthday.

"No, he likes raspberry!"

"Chocolate. Only chocolate," Jisung said sternly.

We glared at each other for a good 2 minutes, unblinking and neither ready to stand down.

"Okay, instead of getting your guys' favourite flavours, how about we get what I want? It is my birthday after all," Chenle said and he opened the freezer to grab the biggest container of vanilla.

Jisung and I ceased our staring contest and started following Chenle and asking him if we can buy a cone of the flavours we wanted.

My head seems to ache more when I remember the happy memory, it contrasting greatly to what happened last night.

Jisung and I may be close, but his bond with Jaemin is like mine with Jeno or Mark. Their parents had always been family friends and Jaemin took good care of him even before he himself could use the toilet alone. He is probably the one who hates our feud the most.

I could barely take it when Jaemin said all that on Sunday, but it was nothing compared to hearing it being confirmed by the person I consider my closest friend.

If Jaemin cut open a wound, Jisung cut it deeper.

"God stop crying," I grumble to my reflection when I see my bloodshot eyes that don't seem to care that I need to get ready for school. My wet and unruly hair makes my look even more complete, if I was going for 'miserable' or 'needs immediate help'.

I give up and move back into my room where I search through my closet for a sweater. My eyes flick through all the clothes that aren't mine and more tears threaten to fall.

"Do you know how tiring it is to try and cheer you up?! The only reason we do it is because your brothers asked us to. They pity you as well."

His voice rings in my head where pain strikes even harder. I shut my eyes and take a shaky breath to steady myself.

I abandon my cabinet and start walking out of the apartment. I lift my bag before exiting the door and do my best to disregard the freezing air.

"Okay, you are..." he looks lost for words as soon as he enters and lays eyes on my forlorn appearance. "Early," he decides. "But clearly at an expense. No jacket? Sweater? Hoodie? You look like you're gonna pass out." He starts taking off his own sweater, one of the two layers he put on today.

Yes, it's that cold.

Once he gets close enough he notices my eyes and gasps. "Did you cry? What happened?!"

I let out a groan and disappear into my arms at the racket he makes that causes my brain to squeeze itself.

Something warm is thrown over me and my shivering body calms down just a bit. "Yun, you're really warm. You shouldn't be here." His hand is cold when it makes contact with the skin on my neck and I almost jump, but my body is too tired to react at all.

"I have tutorials."

"You can't study anything in this state. Can't you just tell the teacher you're sick? It's not like you're a bad student anyway. I'm pretty sure they'll let you off for ONE DAY."

I stay silent. The bell then rings and my head starts throbbing more intensely from the noise. I wince at the pain but push myself up, and I realize too late that it's a mistake.