fifteen

NA JAEMIN

"Hyung," Beomgyu says as we exit the cafe. "I need some advice."

"What kind?" I ask while we walk toward the bus stop.

"Uhm..." he rubs his neck out of nervousness and his cheeks tint pink. "Romantic."

I laugh. "I don't know if I'm the one you should ask, but go ahead," I tell him.

"So...this person I like...well...I guess it's the usual 'we're best friends and I am worried our relationship will change if I say something' kind of thing. We hang out a lot and if me confessing suddenly makes thing awkward, I will never forgive myself.." he looks down sadly.

Immediately Yun comes to mind. I smile encouragingly. "If you're sure about your feelings, I'd say go for it. Who knows, what if she likes you back?" I suggest.

He avoids my gaze and murmurs something I don't catch.

"What? Speak clearly."

He closes his eyes and breathes out. "It's a guy."

I stop moving and blink at him. "Oh." Why am I relieved? Huh? Did I always want him to be gay?

"I-I...I haven't told anyone, but I really like him," he says with more confidence, making me smile.

"I wasn't expecting that, but what I said still stands. Go for it. Seriously, you only live once," I pat his back reassuringly.

He smiles gratefully. "Thanks hyung. I was really worried you would take it differently."

I throw my arm over his shoulders and shake my head. "What difference would it make? I'm not friends with you because you're straight."

He runs his hand through his hair, revealing his sweaty forehead. It really isn't easy to do things like this huh. Even with people you're close to. I smile lightly, extremely honoured and proud that he told me.

"If he really cares about you, even if he doesn't return your feelings, he'll make an effort to not make things awkward," I assure him.

He bites his lip unsurely. "Okay..."

I ruffle his hair. "It'll be fine. I think you'd regret it more if you don't say anything at all."

He glances at me and gulps nervously. "Yeah...I guess it's more difficult because I haven't even come out so...it'll be double."

"I know you can do it. It may sound cliche but follow your heart, really. If you think too much, you'll end up not doing it," I say.

We arrive at the bus stop and I pull him into a hug. "You'll do great Beomgyu."

He hugs me back. "Thanks hyung," he breathes out in relief.

KIM YUN

No sleep. I had no sleep last night. I was tossing and turning the whole time, so worried about today. In spite of the relief I feel from not having to...I can't help but feel anxious about what may happen when I don't.

I step out my door and although I'd love to go slower, my habitual pace is difficult to break. I move across the corridor and begin descending the stairs.

I feel my hands slightly tremble from the nerves I feel for today. The more floors I pass, the higher my heart rate. Even with the cool weather I begin sweating.

I arrive at the lobby and like every morning, the elevator dings. 7:23.

This time I don't run but turn to the person who steps off.

"Hey," I greet awkwardly.

Jaemin offers me a wave and for the very first time, we continue our trip to school together.