eighteen

NA JAEMIN

He walks back into the room he had just left. I enter timidly.

The room is a quite dull once you've seen the rest of their apartment. It's probably the gray. It's a simple setup: a bed, a table and chair, a closet, and a bookshelf.

He offers me the chair and I take it. He goes back to close the door then takes a seat on the edge of his bed.

"I'm assuming it's about your friend?"

I nod. "They said they'll talk."

He sighs in relief. "That's great. When would they like?"

"As soon as possible."

"I do have the morning off, but if they have classes then–"

"Tomorrow morning then," I tell him.

He smiles. "Great. Would you want it to be at my clinic? We can do it here too, in the living room, since Hoseok is out during the day. Where does your friend live?"

"Here's fine," I reply. "I think a setup like this would be more comfortable...considering..."

He realizes what I mean. "Oh...of course," he says. "Do they live far? How does 8 sound?"

After meeting Yoongi hyung, I declined their offer for food to put the girls to bed. After that, I messaged Yun the time we scheduled, along with Beomgyu so he'll know we'll be out.

An hour later, she still doesn't view the message. Thirty minutes later I'm at the door of her apartment.

This time, I ring the bell. I wait nervously, just now realizing that she might be asleep. It's almost 12.

The door is suddenly pulled open and I'm tackled by a hug.

I stumble slightly but regain my balance just as quickly. I stare down where her head is on my chest. Her arms are wrapped tightly around my waist, her hands gripping to the fabric of my shirt. For the first time, my first worry isn't whether or not someone will see us.

I wrap my arms around her slowly: one around her shoulders, and my hand gently on her head.

A few minutes later, she mumbles something I don't catch.

"Hmm?" I lower my head slightly.

"I'm hungry," she says a bit louder.

I chuckle. "What do you want to eat?"

"I don't know."

"Hmm...how about we go down to the convenience store and look for something?"

She nods against my chest, and I pray she doesn't hear my fast-paced heart.

We split up–somewhat awkwardly–to get a few things. I hurriedly grab my wallet and hoodie. When I'm back out again, she's not yet there.

I put my hand against my chest. I try to convince myself its beating quickly is because I ran in and out the apartment.

Her door opens and I quickly put my hand away. She has put on a hoodie too, I think it belongs to Chenle. Her hair is now tied up, but because of its length, many stray hairs frame her face.

I motion down the hallway and we walk together. We get to the elevator.

"I'm taking the stairs," she says as she starts walking down.

"What?" I ask. "It's 20 flights of stairs," I remind her.

She ignores me and continues her descent. I roll my eyes before following her.