twelve

NA JAEMIN

"So she's just been like that for more than an hour?"

I nod. "I don't even know how long she was here before I got here."

Beomgyu arrived within 3 minutes after our call ended. Not too surprising considering he stays at the school's dorm.

"Remind me why we're not approaching her? Even just me?"

I cross my arms and lean on the post I've been standing behind for the past hour. "Because there's a reason she didn't go home and cry there. She knew the boys would be there so she didn't go. She doesn't want anyone to know."

He stares at her helplessly. "Her phone's silent as well. I guess you're right."

I massage my neck and groan tiredly. "How much longer do you think she'll take?"

He switches on his phone to check the time. "I don't–she's standing up!!"

I hastily pull him behind the post with me so we're out of sight. He peaks carefully and recites what he sees. "She's checking her phone...ooh she's gonna line up. Hyung she's going home."

"Yes finally." I adjust my bag strap. "I'm sorry for calling you, I just..This was serious. There's definitely something wrong and I don't know if I have the guts to tell the guys.

"Besides, it's not for me to share."

He nods in understanding. "Don't worry. We'll find out what's up." He motions behind me and the voice in the speakers announces the train's arrival. "Stay safe and thanks for telling me. More importantly thank you for not leaving her alone." He smiles at me gratefully and pushes me toward the train.

I see her entering 2 cars away and then I myself enter. I wave at Beomgyu through the window and find a seat to rest my exhausted legs.

I walk behind her just because she might become suspicious if she sees me. She moves at a slow pace, which frustrates me because I want to get home.

We get to the lobby eventually and I wait by the door so she can use the elevator first, but she doesn't. In spite of her probable tired state she still chooses the stairs.

I enter the complex and walk toward the elevator. I press the button for upstairs and yawn.

It's not my problem she wants to exhaust herself.

The elevator arrives and...

I don't get on.

"I hate myself," I sigh as I turn right and start to ascend the stairs, which I do carefully because I don't want to accidentally encounter her. Yeah maybe the elevator is faster than a human, but still. I need to take precautions.

Of course it's not because I'm afraid she'll get too tired and faint or anything like that. And then no one will find her because someone will kidnap her. I hate her I don't care.

But seriously 10 floors up? That's 20 flights of stairs. Why? I bet if she didn't fall asleep that time I had to carry her she still would have used the stairs.

I keep my steps light and as quiet as possible so she doesn't know I'm there. I stop every time I catch a glimpse of her hand on the railing or her feet; anything that can mean I'm getting close.

After what feels like eternity, I see the number 9 and rejoice, knowing there're only two more flights of stairs.

Trusting that she's already reached her own apartment, I quicken pace. I don't realize till I'm completely in sight that she is standing outside her door.