8.

Chiara Rossi.

During the two  weeks that had just passed, I had been able to resume my life rhythm with the exception that I had been living at Lorenzo's since the intrusion of my apartment. I had become familiar with his place and the people who were always present, that is Marco and Maria. As for Angelo and Lucio, they always stayed away even if I had already caught them laughing at Marco's jokes.

Lorenzo as for him was never present. The few times we met, he ignored me. I wasn't going to complain more than that. He let me live here, the time he leads his investigation which was very nice of him and not at all in adequacy with his personality. "Don't overdo it," my conscience reminded me.

I still hadn't told my brothers about the intrusion because I didn't want to worry them more than that. It was probably stupid of me, but Lorenzo had managed to make me feel safe for a while. Maybe he could help me to find out who had broken into my house so I could complain to the police and the story would be solved.

At the same time, I immediately went back to work, even though I was still very suspicious of everyone. I had the sensation to be constantly followed and Evan's heaviness didn't help anything. He was becoming more and more forward towards me, which made me feel uncomfortable but I didn't dare to tell him, so I tried to avoid him as much as I could. Not wanting to hurt his ego, I always politely refused his invitations but I was running out of ideas.

I was still taking care of Leone, Lorenzo's brother who was getting better and better, I was even planning to wake him up. At this point his interior wounds were beginning to heal which was a good sign. I got to meet Emiliano Castellano, the patriarch of the family and unlike his son he was very friendly, intimidating but pleasant. During some breaks, I talked with him and he was very interesting. He told me about his life in Italy, about his children who were his greatest pride. I had the terrible impression that I could see my Papà in him.

But, today, when I woke up, I didn't feel very well, but since I had an operation planned, I couldn't imagine not going to work. Putting on my surgeon's outfit, I put my hair in a simple low bun before joining Marco and Maria. The breakfast was already ready and I did not take the trouble to install me that I drank my coffee quickly. I was definitely running out late. 

As soon as I arrived, Evan had joined me to give me the last indications concerning our operation of the day. I had to admit that Evan was a good intern on a professional level, very good and I saw in him a potential good surgeon. 

The operation went more smoothly than expected thanks to an empty operating room in advance. After a meticulous operation to remove a brain tumor, I could finally breathe and go home - at least to Lorenzo. Deciding not to call Marco, I took a taxi home. I was terribly hungry, cold and above all exhausted so when the cab arrived I hurriedly got in and indicated the address.

With my head turned towards the window, I marveled at the sight of New York City passing by. At night, the city was much more beautiful and every day I felt lucky to be living here even though I missed my native Italy. The immensity of the buildings made me feel so small, so unwanted that it was disturbing. No city outside of New York could make even the most powerful person in the world feel so small.

About twenty minutes of contemplation and dreaminess later I arrived at the foot of the Castellanos' hotel, thanked the driver and entered the building. As I approached Lorenzo's hallway, voices sounded as if a meeting was being held. I had understood since my arrival, that the Castellano family was the most powerful clan in Italy and in the world, a mafia clan without mercy. I had overheard this information in the course of a conversation. However, I had never mentioned it because they all treated me well and I wanted to avoid conflict at all costs.