16.5.

Chiara Rossi.

Three days had passed since the incident at the hospital and although my superior had been very understanding and asked me not to feel responsible, I couldn't help but blame myself for what happened that day.

Three days since I tried to remember every move I made that day, to find my mistake but every time my moves, my decisions were right and yet he was dead.

Three days, that I had received this bouquet and this letter.

Three days since I had received a particular message on my way home and for three days I had been looking at it and moping about.

"Incompetent. You killed him too. It's sad to know you'll be joining him, soon."

And since then, I've been locked up in my house. Walter, my superior, knew I was very sensitive when death was involved so he had me replaced so I could come to my senses and return, stronger and took time to go through this. I was grateful that he remembered this detail and cared about me.

Nevertheless, I couldn't stop thinking about that man on my operating table and the constant harassment. It was clear that this person hated me and yet I couldn't imagine anyone I had intentionally wronged. I was not the best person in the world but I was not a bad one either so I was wondering who I could've upset at this point.

Three days later, and I was still receiving regular messages from this stranger, which prompted me to turn off my phone and disappear from the radar. Maybe that way my stalker would leave me alone and think I was gone. So, I stayed home for a day, then two, then three. I stopped counting after the third day and felt like I was going crazy. After all, my life had changed for the worse in the last few months and I had accumulated traumas without seeking help to overcome them. So, maybe I was becoming crazy because of this.

The couch had become my refuge for some time and I rarely got up because I didn't feel the need to. Nevertheless, that evening, the ringing of the intercom forced me to get up. A groan escaped my lips and with slow steps I made my way to the intercom.

With my glasses on, I turned on the camera and thought I saw a ghost.

The man who had attacked me back there at the hospital, was in front of my house and panic rose in me. He knew I was watching him because his eyes were fixed on the camera and he smiled. His smile sent a chill down my spine but when he muttered something in a language I didn't understand, I felt my limbs weaken. Had he come to kill me ? And how had he got my address ?

After what seemed like an eternity, he disappeared from the camera's view and I was afraid. Afraid that he would break into my flat and kill me. This time there was no one to help me and he would have no trouble finishing me off. I was alone and weak, I had a chance once but not twice.

With the intercom phone in my hands, I couldn't move. I was petrified on the spot and I think I stayed there for a good ten minutes before I made my way to the sofa again, as if nothing had happened.

Lorenzo Castellano.

It was rare that we all got together for no mafia business, but tonight was a celebration of Vicenzo's return from Italy and Leo's almost imminent release. The hospital administrator had informed my father that, given Leo's progress, they would probably wake him up and discharged him. My father decided to celebrate the return of his two sons. And to be honest, I was glad that for once we were all together. Marco, Matteo and Luca joined us for the occasion.

As we were having dinner and discussing the latest news, my phone just rang. However, at the Castellanos', a phone at the table was not really welcome. So, despite the persistence of my interlocutor, I had decided to ignore the call, which did not fail to make Marco react.