17.5.

Lorenzo Castellano.

When Chiara told me about her incident, I could not help but found it crazy how she was feeling guilty of something she never did nor thought about. In a way, I could understand why she was traumatized by this death, even more when a madman was doing his best to make her think so. That's why we were different, because unlike her killing was never something I would be ashamed of or traumatized by. Cause, it made me feel alive and powerful, having the power to kill or not someone, to stop their useless existence or let them live was something I was good at.  But, Chiara ? She could not even kill a mosquito if she has to let alone an human. She was saving victims,  people like me was killing, and it was not fair to make her think she was not able to do her job right.

At first, I thought that bastardo of Evan was the one making her feel guilty but as soon as she mentioned the black mailing. I knew who was behind of all of this. If she was not there I would've probably break a few things to express my anger. Her fragile body pressed against me, her tears wetting my shirt and her eyes begging for peace were hurting more than a knife, more than a bullet.

She was a nice girl, a girl every one dreamt to have or to be. She was the sweetness in person, always caring and loving people around her. And, I could not stand seeing herself getting personally drawn into this world of mine. I was refusing seeing her get lost and her brightness erased for some mafia's wars. I was refusing to see her life falling apart when all she deserved was the best in the world.

Sergei was about to regret targeting her, thinking of her and laying eyes on  the surgeon. And, I would be the one making sure he pays for that. As I was about to listen to the girl by my side, my phone began to ring.

Fuck whoever was calling me, I had no time to answer anyone whilst those green teary eyes were begging for me to make them dry again and make sure they did not have to suffer anymore.

" Si Marco ?"

I said as I accepted the call without shifting my gaze away from those green eyes. Even if I wanted to, I would not have been able to do it. Her eyes were captivating and I was so lost in them than Marco had to repeat himself.

" Some fuckers decided to fool us and they committed a theft. Of course, we found who they were shortly after but they injured two of our men. "

" What did you do with them ? "

" We killed them Lorenzo but before that they let you a message "

" Spill Marco, I'm doing something highly important that requests my full attention. "

Sergei said he is having fun with your girl. I don't know who that poor girl is but she's probably living a hell because that cazzo thinks you know her. "

Take care of whatever is happening until I come back. Do not disturb unless it's something very important. "

And with that i ended the call. This call angered me even more and I was now sure Chiara was Sergei's target. She was the only one he could talk about and even if I was refusing to babysit her, this became the only solution to keep her safe but would she want this ? Knowing how independent she was it may be hard to keep her under a high surveillance.

"Everything is alright, Enzo ?"A sweet voice asked and i looked back into her green eyes that were an escape for a moment. In them, I felt less angry and more at peace. That's why I hated them, they made me softer.

"Sì, you wanted to say something ?"

"Are you sure ?"

"I'm sure Chiara. What were you about to tell me when  I was about to live ?"

Panic started to gain her, I could see it through her green eyes that started to fix an imaginary point, her breathing became heavier and her grip tightened around my wrist. The sight was making me uncomfortable and all I wanted was to comfort her but she needed to speak first, to let me know what was wrong.

"You are leaving ?"

"Sì, did you forget I am the Don of the Italian mafia, I have things to do."

"You can't leave me."

"Of course I can."

"He came ... I'm afraid he's coming again."

My blood boiled inside of me, my jawline clinched to the point it hurt me because I knew who she was referring to and I hated the fact he was ahead of me. I hated the fact she said these two words. And, I hated the fact I was not there to protect her.
I remained silent for a few seconds as I did not know what to say. I should've kept her by my side instead of trying to pull her away. I should've sent Marco at least to say if she was doing great, in that way she would've never been alone with that cazzo.

"When ?"

"Before you came that's why I did not open immediately ... he talked I mean he stared at the camera of the intercom."

"Why you did not call me Chiara ? You have to call me for everything wrong or everything scaring that is happening to you and I would be there." It was hard for me to keep my calm but I could not risk scaring the young woman in front of me. She was already broken and I was not even thinking of breaking her more. So, I had to wait to express my anger and what a better way than killing and torturing some Russians to make him pay for what he has done to her.

"Mi scusi ..."

If we were not in this situation I would've find it hot to hear her speak Italian but right now I was sorry that I let this man close to her, that I let her going through this alone and for ghosting her. Because, she was definitely in danger and pushing her away was the worst the decision I took.

"Don't apologize it's fine. I'm not going to leave right ? We'll spend the night here and then you are going to come by my place and stay with Marco and I." She nodded in agreement and let go of my arm before making her way to me and simply getting into my arms.

"Thank you, Enzo. For being there to comfort me."

"Let me cook you something whilst you take a shower and then join me here right ?"

Chiara slowly let go off me and with a soft smile agreed on my plan. I was about to cook for her, I could not believe it. I have never ever cooked for someone before but as much as I hated  being that soft for her, a part of me was telling me it was the right thing to do. Chiara was different from everyone and the remaining sanity and light inside of her needed to be protected at all costs.

If Marco was there he would be qualifying me of lover boy and softie because that's what I was whenever Chiara was around, a softie. And, a part of me was hating on that girl for making feel that way in such a hard moment. But, the other part was thanking her.