1

I watched the flame on my cigarette as it started inching closer towards the filter. This was it, I had promised myself. My last cigarette. Maybe this time it would be true.

I rolled my eyes at myself as I looked down at the clothes I'm wearing. They were new, I had just ripped the tags off them this morning. They weren't me, but they were who I was trying to be. The new me. The new Zane.

No more fighting, no more drinking, no more drugs. No more smoking. It was my last chance, after all. My parents had been ready and willing to send me to that horrible reform school. I'm fairly sure they were over reacting. I wasn't that bad.

I mean, I guess I was pretty bad.

But I had my reasons, didn't I?

They just couldn't understand. They would never understand the feeling that comes with being left by your best friend, by choice. He chose to leave me, just like he chose to leave Gavin and O. Just like he chose to leave his family. It's not a feeling that sits right, deep inside you.

I breathed in the final inhale of my cigarette, tossing the now useless butt onto the pavement. I was in the parking lot of my new school. My Mercedes fit right in here. It didn't at my old school. Hawkings was a public school, and my car stuck out like a sore thumb in the sea of Nissan's and Chevy's. Not here, however. Almost every car in the parking lot was worth more than the teachers that taught here's salary.

Rich kids. I've never liked them. Even though I was one.  I would have been perfectly content to stay at Hawkings, but I guess that choice was made for me when they kicked me out.

I pushed myself off the hood of my car, grabbing my backpack from beside me as I started to walk to the building. It was obvious that the school hadn't seen a new student in a while. Their eyes were cast on me, almost instantly as I pushed through the doors. I suppressed a groan as they eyed me. The guys watching me as if they were considering whether I was a threat or not. The girls dragging their eyes up and down my body before turning and giggling to their friends.

Same old bullshit, just different halls.

By the time I had gone through the annoying administrative song and dance, getting my paperwork done and being assigned my class schedule and locker, it was already time for my second class. Biology. Great.

I was right on time, so I had to make a quick decision on what seat to take. There were so many available, and it was probably because I had passed the rest of the class on my way inside. They were all grouped outside the door, talking about whatever is important to their simple minds.

I mean, what could really matter? It didn't seem like much mattered anymore.

I chose a seat near the back. It was right beside a window, so at least there would be a tiny distraction from this bleak ass classroom. I watched the students as they filled into the room. I don't know if it was because it was a private school, but the girls were dressed so differently than the girls at my old school. They were all wearing crop tops, or short skirts, and the teacher didn't seemed bothered in the slightest. Maybe I might like this school, after all.

"Bro, this is my seat." I heard a voice say, causing me to look over to my right. The kid who was standing in front of me didn't seem to fit in with what I've seen so far at all. He was short, dressed almost entirely in black, with a large pair of Beats headphones around his neck.

I looked at him, not breaking eye contact. I was waiting for his next words, because depending on what comes out of his mouth next... well, we might have a problem.

Or rather... he might have a problem. I have at least 6 inches on him.

To my surprise, however, he smiled at me and pulled out the chair beside me. "It's all good though, I'll just take Carter's seat. He's not here today."

I nodded, turning back towards the front. It's not that I wasn't interested in making friends, I just doubted there was anyone worth knowing at this fucking shithole school.

"I'm Cain, by the way. New here?" The guy asked me, and I reluctantly turned back towards him. I noticed the way that everyone who walked by him either nodded at him or stuck their fist out for a fist bump.

"Yeah. I'm new. I'm Zane."