Five

I woke up in what I assume was the middle of the night, and slowly got up and was careful not to disturb Newt. I snuck over to where my hammock was, and looked at Gally. He seemed to be sound asleep. 

"Gally. Gally, wake up." I whispered, shoving him lightly. He gasped when he woke up, and I pressed a finger to my lips to tell him to be quiet.

"Why did you wake me up?" He asked angrily standing up to face me.

"I was bored." I said with a shrug.

"Well why don't you go be with your boyfriend then?" He said angrily.

"He is not my boyfriend and he probably will never be because of Alby okay?" I whispered angrily and he looked down at me and smiled.

"What?" I whispered, infuriated.

"You are even more beautiful when you're angry." He replied and he put a hand on my cheek. I took my and and rested it on top of his. Then before I knew it, he was kissing me. And I was kissing back. At this realization, I jerked back and gasped.

"What was that for?" I whispered angrily.

"You are always with Newt and I needed to do that, just once." He replied, pushing some of my bangs off my forehead as Newt has before.

"We- we can't do this." I said, turning away.

"Why not?" He asked, grabbing my waist and turning me around. "you even said that you weren't a thing." He responded pulling me close. I put my head down on his chest and sighed.

"I can't do that to him, I just can't." I whispered sadly as I looked into his eyes. He frowned and kissed my forehead.

"I'm sorry." he said and let me go and went back to sleep. I ran to the middle of the Glade and slowly spun around.

 Were all stuck here with no way out. I thought to myself. I couldn't get my mind off Gally.

"Greenie? What are you doing out here so late?" I turned around to see Alby. I gave him a little wave.

"I couldn't sleep?" I said unconvincingly.

"You should be asleep. Where's Newt?" He asked looking around me.

"He's at the log stump thing over there.  Hey Alby?"

"Yeah?" He responded not looking up for games at this time.

"What would you think if two Gladers were in a romantic- type relationship?" I asked rocking on my heels to my toes and intertwining my hands together. Just on time, Newt came up from behind me and put his hand on the small of my back a moment, then quickly retracted it because of Alby.

"Well, depending on who it was. I could easily guess what is happening though Carter." He said shaking his head and. . . Smiling? He turned to walk away when he turned slightly.

"It's okay Carter." he said before going back to the Homestead. I turned to Newt who had the look of pure confusion on his face.

"What just happened?" He asked looking to the Homestead, then back at me. 

"Alby said it would be okay if we dated." I replied giving him a hug. I let go at the same time he did and he looked at me for a moment then he gasped.

"Be right back!" He yelled, running to the homestead. I smiled and spun in lazy circles with my arms out. He returned and had his hands behind his back.

"Okay. Carter, I would like to ask you to formally be my girlfriend." He asked presenting a bouquet of wildflowers and handing them to me.

"They're beautiful. I would love to be your girlfriend Newt." I put my hand in the back of his neck and kissed him. When we broke, he rested his forehead on mine.

 We then went to the place we always did, him holding me in his arms until he gently released his grip due to exhaustion and I fell into a deep sleep in his arms as I always did.