Eleven

I woke up with my arms around her, her rose petal scent in my lungs. I kissed the back of her head softly so I wouldn't wake her. I soon noticed something was wrong. I couldn't hear the soft intake and outtake of her breath. I turned her on her back and set my ear to her chest to try and hear her pulse.

Nothing.

I quickly picked her up bridal style and ran to the med jacks. I finally reached them and set her on a cot nearby. 

"She's not breathing! I can't hear her heart beat!" I shouted, pushing them to where she was. They immediately got to work, making a wall with their bodies so I couldn't see her.

"W-will she be okay?" I asked timidly.

"Shhh!" They said in unison. I backed off and went to sit at a table not too far from them. It wasn't more than five minutes when they both came back, shuffling their feet as their mouths morphed with distain.

"Is she okay?" I asked standing and walking quickly to meet them. They were both looking at the floor but I saw them both slowly shake their heads. 

"S-she's dead?" I asked, tears welling up in my eyes.

"It was the solution we have her to save her from the sting. Her body couldn't handle it." Clint said. 

"Let me see her." I said, pushing him away to get to her.

I reached her and she took my breath away. She was so pale, and when I grabbed her hand, it was ice cold. I brought it to my mouth and kissed it softly. 

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't be what you needed. I wish you were here to hear that I love you more than anything." I whispered, tears spilling over my cheeks and down her arm, her hand still at my mouth. I left shortly after and went to go do my work while they prepared to bury her. Unlike most, we were going to place her in her favorite place, the tree stump.

I had found some decent looking black clothes, and I combed my hair and washed my face and body. Everyone else did the same. They even let Thomas out to mourn her death. All of us, dressed like dark angels, made our way to her. Teresa had prepared her hair and clothing for the burial, and Thomas was with fry to assure nothing went wrong. Alby got flowers, and Gally prepared the rest. I slowly dragged my bare feet along the grass and made my way to her. And finally, I saw her.

My beautiful angel.

She had flowers of all colors in a crown of sorts and woven into her hair. She was wearing a white dress and she was holding white daisies. I could feel the tears dropping like shining diamonds down my face. I approached her for the final time and placed my lips on hers. 

Ice cold. I was fire and she was ice. Forever balancing each other out in a battle of hot and cold. I let go and walked away. I couldn't handle staying while they lowered her into the ground.

I knew no one would notice me when I slipped away. I slowly climbed up the vines, seeing the sun rise in the distance. Oh how my angel loved her sun rises. 

I love you Carter. I will never forget you. I'll be there with you soon. I climbed the walls again, repeating the previous events. Once before, I had done something similar. Only then, I was dying a selfish death. Killing only for the satisfaction of leaving. I know now I cannot live without you. When I reached the top I turned in a circle, looking around one more time. I will not miss the maze.

The grievers.

The long nights.

The work.

The dirt stuck under my fingernails after a long day of planting.

I will leave with nothing to lose, for my everything is where I am going to. 

I slowly turned my back from the ledge, and put my arms out, reaching my palms to the sky. I slowly tipped back, and I was soon flying, soaring to meet you, my angel.

I'm so excited to see you again Carter. 

Love,

Newt