Chapter 5 - Cole's POV

Chapter 5 – Cole's POV

When I opened my eyes, Beth was sitting at her desk, typing on her computer. I smiled.

Wrapping my arms around one of her pillows, I sighed contently and just stared at her working intently on her school work.

Wouldn't it be sweet if I could just be a house cat and sit all day doing nothing, just watching Lilibeth, following her around and begging for attention and belly rubs. Hopefully, I could be one in my next life.

I hadn't planned any grand things to do while I was here. Usually when people booked a flight and travelled, they had a plan, or an itinerary of some sort.

My only goal for the following week was to keep as little distance as possible between me and the pretty girl sitting at her desk.

When Lilibeth had announced that she wanted to study abroad, I remembered how everyone had kind of freaked out. Her family, and most people who knew her really had always been hyper protective of her, so telling them that she was going to move on another continent to study had made a lot of people worried.

I hadn't been. It had made sense to me. I had always figured that one day, Beth would take off somewhere far away. I always knew she was restless. I always knew this girl had ambition. Her hometown never would have been big enough for her.

It was one of the many things I loved about her.

Beth leaned back in her chair, stretching her arms, and then turned back to look at me. "Oh, how long have you been up," she asked softly with a small smile.

"I just woke up," I answered, my voice sounding a little raspy from sleep.

"I'm almost done, I just need to write the conclusion and fix the intro," Beth explained, like she needed to apologize for doing the things she needed to do.

I was the one derailing her schedule. She shouldn't worry. Being in the same room was more than enough.

"No worries. Go ahead," I told her. She just stared at me. "What?"

She made a face. "You're very distracting," Beth admitted.

I laughed. "How am I distracting?"

"Stop looking at me like that," she whined.

I closed my eyes, shaking my head, a smile on my lips. "Oh, no, that's never happening. Stop looking this beautiful, and maybe we'll have a chance of that ever happening, but even then, I highly doubt it."

Beth rolled her eyes at me. "God, you're cheesy."

I grinned. "You bring it out of me."

"If our friends heard you say this, you'd never hear the end of it," she smugly informed me.

She was right. If Jay and Maika heard us right now, we'd be the butt of their jokes for the next decade.

I couldn't really help it though. When I was with Beth, it was somehow... quieter in my head. I felt more grounded. I felt calmer. Sure, the silly kind of crazy part of me was still there, but it was tamed down. I didn't know exactly why I had a slight change in personality when I was around her. Maybe it was because I didn't have anything to prove to Beth. I didn't need to make her laugh all the time so she would like me.

I knew she liked me.

"It's okay. You're the protector of Cheesy-Cole. Please keep him safe in your heart. You're the only one allowed to see him," I told her.

She shook her head, amused. "So cheesy." Beth got up, her laptop in her hands and came back to bed. I moved a little to give her more room. She settled beside me, a pillow propped behind her back. "Give me another hour maybe, and I'll be done."

"If you think I'm going to complain about my predicament at the moment, you really don't know me."

She ran a head through my hair. "Behave."

"No promises." I chuckled and wrapped an arm around her legs.

Her typing resumed, and I let myself doze off a little again.

Finally, about an hour later, Beth let out a yawn and stretched her arms. "I have officially finished everything," she announced.

I sat up, and kissed her temple. "Proud of you." She turned her head, looking in my eyes, our faces an inch apart. "Did you want to go out for dinner? Or order take out?" I asked softly. I was getting a little hungry now.

"I actually really need to go to the grocery store, so we might as well do that and just cook something," Beth answered.

So with these words, I went to the bathroom and changed my clothes to go out.

When I got out, Beth had her coat in with her keys in her hands, waiting for me.

I grabbed my own coat on the back of a chair, and followed her to the front door.

While I was putting on my shoes, Beth suddenly said, "Wait, I'm forgetting my bags, give me a second," rushing back to the kitchen.

"You can have as many seconds as you want, Kitten," I called back behind her.

"Okay, all good now," she said and grabbed her shoes. "Oh no, wait, where's my wallet?" she said in a panic and rushed back to her room.

I burst into laughter. "Hey, don't laugh at me," she said with a pout.

I still chuckled a little. "Sorry, I just can't help it. It's not everyday that I get to see a slightly out-of-it Lilibeth Eaton. It's quite a beautiful sight."

"Shut up", she said, knocking me softly with her shoulder.

I wrapped and arm around her and kissed the top of her head. "It's kind of pathetic on my part, really, that you lose your wallet and I somehow find you attractive for it."

Beth snorted. "You're ridiculous."

"Oh, I know."

With her shoes one, and everything she needed we walked hand in hand on our way to the grocery store. It was a little place, a mix between a genuine grocery store and a corner store.

When we got there, Beth knew what she was looking for, so I just followed her around like a good manservant, pushing the cart. She kept looking at the list in her hand, and the produces, trying to find everything she needed.

I just kind of smiled contently at the sight. One day, this would be normal. One day, I might actually get annoyed with the prospect of having to go grocery shopping with Beth because it would become a mundane thing. I mean, probably not because if there was one thing time had taught me, it was that I was a complete sucker when it came to Beth, but still. One day, we were going to have a little routine, and maybe we'd get tired of each other from time to time, the way you get when you see someone too often, not because you stop loving them or anything.

One day maybe I'd finally get my fill of this girl. Once again, I doubted it though.

Lilibeth looked back at me, a few feet further away and smiled, tilting her head a bit. "What are you staring at?" she asked.

"My future."

___________

Hello my little Pumpkins. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. 

I like how soft these characters are together. I think Cole describes it well in this chapter. He's somehow quieter in his head when they're together. I like that.

Anyway! I got more writing to do tonight, so I shall leave you alone!

See you tomorrow! <3