Hava

Rising from my nest, I pad quietly from the den in hopes of seeing the sunrise. On my own, it had always been a rush to leave the place where I slept, so I didn't have time to relish in the beauty of the rising sun. The cold and dark of night would fade away as the great yellow orb rose, making the stars vanish until night. But after four weeks of being in Croan's pack, I finally could relax and watch the sunrise.

I settle down atop a hill overlooking a large field, one dotted with small trees and plants. Dew dripped off drooping leaves, splattering the ground with dampness. Off in the distance, I could spot five deer. Three were young females, the other two males. Two of the youngest scampered around an older sibling's hooves, calling out joyously. I sigh and lay my snout between my front paws.

The past four weeks since Felan's injury have been silent and calm. No attacks from the Eastern Pack, no weird weather, and no absence of prey. Without the things going on inside our own pack, everything is starting to feel normal again.

Felan's injury turned out to be worse than we expected. He's been with Una this entire time, not allowed to even walk.

Keala's sprain leg has become better, although she still walks with a slight limp. Croan has decided that she should wait until its fully healed to go out again.

Mink and Raff's relationship has stayed a secret, although I still see Croan watch them both intently. Lakota seems to have stuck to his word.

Derray should deliver any day now. Its just a matter of time before she does. We're hoping the pups come before winter, when most of the prey begin to migrate and hibernate.

Kent and my relationship has stayed the same, and I'm somewhat grateful for that. Rydal's words are glued in my mind and I'm tempted to know more. Every time I look at Kent, I feel like I'm at war with my emotions.

I shake my head in annoyance as a drop of dew spills onto my head, dribbling down my snout. Sensing my presence, a squirrel darts up a nearby tree, shrieking in alarm. I glance at it than back at the rising sun.

Painted pink, yellow, and orange, the sky looks like a meadow of spring flowers. The sun rises slowly, casting its great rays of light into the diminishing darkness. I rise to my paws slowly, letting the gentle wind blow through my fur. The air smells like pine needles from a nearby forest and the refreshing scent of a howling river.

I've only stood there for a few silent moments before I hear thundering paws in the field below me. I look down, gazing into the massive field to spot the animals I heard.

I spot two wolves streaking across the open plain, inches behind a smaller wolf. They look like they're chasing him. My ears prick up as I catch angry barking and I launch into action, leaping down the hill and into the field.

The two wolves are slow, and I easily catch up with them, nipping their tails in an attempt to scare them. One of them, a gangly grey, throws an angry glance over his shoulder. I bark angrily and advance, running past them and toward the smaller male. His back and snout are black, but his belly and legs are more of a tan and brown color. I can see his olive grey eyes wide with panic and fear.

Once I'm far enough past the two chasing wolves, I whip around, claws sliding to grip the ground. I sink my claws into the dirt and stable myself to face the other wolves. I square my shoulders, shove my ears forward, and draw my lip back in a growl.

The two advancing wolves skid to a halt, slamming their back paws into the dirt. They're stopped inches from me, towering over my shorter height. The grey mangy one glares at me, the other male, a bulky dark grey with tan highlights, standing nearly nose to nose with me.