Redemption

My packmates ended up finding me, passed out in the middle of the forest, and brought me back home with a little bit of a struggle. I don't remember exactly what happened, but they told me I continually mumbled about Seff. They have no idea who he is. I've never told them about my family, except for the part about the hunters. 

I lay next to Rydal in the middle of the clearing, watching Croan pace angrily. 

"Three wolves, three!" He growls, shoving his ears back. 

I look up at Rydal, slightly confused. "Three? I thought Lykus..."

The red she-wolf lets out a exhausted sigh. "Derray and Mink. Felan tried to protect them, but with his injury, he couldn't."

My eyes widen. Why would the rogues need a pregnant wolf? Why would they take Mink?

I raise my head, catching sight of Raff. He's pacing as well, tail lashing in fury as he mumbles to himself. I can't imagine how he must feel. He knows that Mink can't protect herself. 

Una is missing from the group, telling me that she's hiding in her den, filled with grief and anger. Keala is laying on Rydal's other side, claws flexing in the dirt. I can see the fury in her bright eyes. Lakota is standing on the other side of the clearing, slowly waving his tail across the ground. I want to talk to him, but I feel like if I stand, I'll fall right back down. 

"So, what do we do now?" Kent asks, looking expectantly at Croan.

His uncle's ears flick towards Kent. "Nothing. I need to think this one out. Those rogues were smart. They came when we were at our weakest."

Croan disappears into the shadows of his den, leaving us to talk about what happened the previous night. Or at least I thought.

"So, who's Seff?" Rydal asks, looking down at me. "An old friend?"

My throats tightens, so hard I'm scared to speak. "He..... He was my b-brother."

My voice shakes, but I don't think Rydal caught it. "I didn't know you have a brother. What's he like?"

"I had a brother," I say again, emphasizing the word "had".

Rydal's ears flick back and her eyes grow misty. "Oh, I'm sorry...."

"He died because of me. I tried to protect him but I couldn't. I let him die!" I jump to my paws and race into the forest, scared of what Rydal will think of me now that she knows about Seff. I stumble and my shoulders scream in pain, but my mind is racing so hard I don't even realize it. I leap over a tree trunk, nearly catching my back leg on a wavering branch. I slam my paws against the ground as I run, leaving deep tracks in the dirt. Leaves swirl behind me as I run as fast as I can, although I'm slowed slightly by the excruciating pain in my shoulders. 

I stop for a moment, letting myself rest against a tree trunk. I hear voices calling my name, my new packmates, as they try to find me. Fear runs up my back and I spring back to my paws, racing across the leaves. I flatten my ears, trying to block out their voices. I hear Rydal, Kent, and Raff. The first wolves I met properly from Croan's pack. I know they're just worried for me, scared of what I'll do because of my raging emotions. 

But I don't care. I want to be alone. I was meant to be alone. 

As I run, flashbacks occur in my mind of Seff, ones that I haven't bothered to remember until now. I remember meeting him for the first time, along with Theema and Finch. I remember playing in our home, trying to teach him how to jump and catch a leaf. Tears stream down my cheeks as the memories replay in my mind. 

They continue to play until I see myself, leaning over Seff as I try to keep him warm. That dreadful winter night when my entire family was killed. He's shivering, his brown and golden fur puffed up in fear and his brown eyes wide in confusion. My last moment with him alive. I remember when I woke up to find his cold and stiff body beside me. I could've kept him warm. He could still be alive if I had done better!