Reminiscence

"I didn't mean to! It just came out!"

Una's gaze went soft as I cried in front of her. Immediately after Kent had run off, I went back to the pack and straight to Una. She was the only one I could talk to about this.

Derray was sleeping, Fen, Alkan, and Saber dozing quietly beside her. Lykus was out with Rydal and Raff, playing somewhere in the forest.

I was feeling mixed emotions: sadness, anger, pain... My heart felt like it would burst out of my chest any second. I was stupid, thinking that Kent could love anyone else beside Hava.

"I know it was just an accident, Alari, and accidents happen all the time. They're part of living." I hear Una say quietly over the sound of my tears. I let them fall, not wanting to hold back the waterfall of emotions. Una's the closest thing I have to a mother.

"I-I just wish it didn't happen," I stutter, shoulders shaking.

"You just need to give him time. He'll come back to you, I promise."

I lift my head, meeting Una's kind eyes. "He hates me. Why would he ever come back?"

"Kent is my son. I know him better than he knows himself. I've seen the way he looks at you, the way he acts around you." Una breaths in through her nose and pauses. "He's going through a lot right now, but he loves you. Hava is gone, but you're here. He'll come to realize that sooner or later."

"Thanks, Una. I mean it." I lean forward and stand, pressing my face against the older wolf's neck.

After saying farewell, I make my way towards my den, but not before passing Felan and Lakota. The red male glances in my direction and senses my distress. "Alari, is everything okay?"

I quickly nod and tuck my head close to my chest. "Yeah, I'm fine. You haven't seen Kent, have you?" I wasn't going to talk to him. I just want to know if he's okay.

But to my dismay, Felan shakes his head. "No, sorry."

I let out a quiet sigh and pray that he's alright. I nod in understanding and walk past them, heading towards my den. But I hear paw steps rushing up to meet me, and I turn, expecting to see Keala or Croan.

Instead, I meet Lakota's gaze. I groan and turn away, but he dashes in front of me, blocking my path.

"Lakota..." I start, but he interrupts instantly.

"What's going on?" His eyes narrow the slightest and I see the fur on his spine raise.

My brow furrows. "What do you mean?"

Lakota sighs and he gestures towards the forest. "I need to talk to you, alone."

I hesitate and follow him slowly into the forest and a little way from camp. My claws grip the ground hard, ready if he attacks me.

Instead, he sits on his haunches a few feet away. I do the same, but slide farther back.

"Where's Kent?" Lakota growls, his eyes narrowing.

My ears prick up and I feel my chest swell. "I don't know. We were checking the border and he ran off." The lie isn't my best and I'm scared Lakota notices.

"Why would he run off? He wants to spend every waking minute with you."

I shrug casually. "Maybe he just wasn't feeling extremely perky."

Lakota rises to his paws, feeling threatened. "I knew you were a spy! What did you do to him?"

I lay my ears back. "I didn't do anything! Listen, I'm sorry for whatever I did for you to hate me, but I want you to know, I'm not who you think I am. I've never been part of a pack, and I would never spy for one, either! The accusations you put against me are false."