Arrivals

I can hear Derray groaning from pain even from the other side of the camp. I whine and put my paws over my ears, trying to block out the torturing sound. Ever since we got back, she's continued to have contractions, alarming the entire pack. Una has been through this herself many times, but its always frightening to have pups. There's a chance that the mother could die, leaving her pups abandoned. I try not to think about it. 

Lykus is on his paws beside me, pacing nervously. His tail traces the ground, anxious for his new friends to arrive. 

Felan is laying close to Rydal, out of Una's den for the first time in weeks. He looks much better and his shoulders are only sore now. He catches Lykus' eyes and says quietly, "Una knows what she's doing, Lykus. Derray'll be fine."

"I know!" Lykus shouts, a little louder than expected. He sighs and plops to the ground. "When we were with the rogues, Otho kept telling Derray how her pups would become his soldiers. I just want them to be safe."

I nudge Lykus lightly with my nose. "We all want them to be. They'll stay safe."

Raff sits at the mouth of Una's den, ears flattened to try and block out Derray's cries. He looks agitated, but stays where he was in case Una needs him. Kent was inside the den and I hadn't seen him for hours. I didn't mind though. He was watching after Derray, constantly at his sister's side. 

Lakota trots into the camp, two squirrels and a rabbit stuffed into his jaws. He rushes to Una's den and disappears. I stifle back a growl as I watch him return and head towards his own den. I still don't understand why he can't see that I'm faithful to this pack. Even after uniting with the Eastern Pack, he still sees me as a traitor.

I shake my fur in irritation and hear Derray groan again. Lykus whimpers and starts to head towards the den, but Rydal puts a paw out to stop him. 

"C'mon Rydal, I have to see her!" Lykus whines and manages to push her paw to the side. 

Felan laughs. "She'll be out any minute now. Get me that pinecone and I'll throw it to you."

I can see the worry in Rydal's eyes. "Felan, are you sure?"

Felan smiles, showing his sister his teeth. "I'm sure, sis. I'll be fine." He rose to sit on his haunches, but Lykus stayed where he was. 

"That's a pup's game. I'm too old for that," Lykus woofs, looking to the side. 

I feel a spark in my chest and jump to my paws, surprising Lykus. "I'm not too old!"

I spring over to the pinecone, shockingly soft in my jaws. Lykus watches curiouslu as I jump in the air, twisting my head to the side so I send the pinecone flying across the clearing. I remember playing this with my siblings, summer wind blowing through our fur and laughs all across the camp. 

As I land back on my paws, waiting for someone else to throw the pinecone, my ears grow hot. All eyes are on me, but I can't tell what they're thinking. Maybe they don't play once they're older...

Felan bends over, grabbing the pinecone between his teeth and testing his balance as he stands to his paws. He throws his head to the side, managing to whip the pinecone over to Raff. The large dark male watches silently as the pinecone wobbles at his paws, like a rabbit shaking in fear. We wait for him to throw it, but he only gazes curiously at it. Maybe he's lost the passion he had when he was a pup. 

I begin to turn away, knowing the game has ended, until I hear a joyous bark. I turn, just to hear the whizzing of the pinecone as it flies past my head. I see Raff, standing on all fours, his eyes wide. He looks slightly embarrassed, but also has a new energy.