Assault

"Three..."

"Two..."

"One!"

I spring out from behind the large bush, rustling the leaves. I shove my ears forward, listening for any sound. My eyes scan the forest, watching for movement.

A dark head pops out from behind a tree, giving Lykus' hiding spot away.

"You know, Lykus, the point of this game is to hide."

I hear the small pup groan, and he appears from behind the tree, tail dragging in the leaves. He plops down in front of me, sighing.

"This is game is so boring. Can't we play something else?"

"Well, it is getting late. We need to get back."

Lykus groans loudly, enough to wake a bear from hibernation. I let him trail in front of me as we head back home, making sure to keep my attention on his safety.

It's been days since I've joined the pack, the most wonderful days of my life. I went on another hunting mission, successfully catching a young deer. The pack seems healthier and fuller since I've joined. I've never seen them laugh and run so much, just because they have the energy to do so.

Lakota is a problem. Derray isn't even as bad as he is. She's actually started to accept me. Lakota, on the other paw, still believes I'm a spy sent from the Eastern Pack, who seem like a really bad bunch of wolves. Most of the time I'm with other wolves, so he can't hurt me. Kent tries to protect me the best he can, but Lakota still challenges him. I have a feeling that, sooner or later, he'll corner me when I'm alone.

We've only just stepped inside when I see a flash of dark brown fur at the corner of my eye. I turn, suspecting its a rabbit scrambling to avoid me. But I'm suprised when I see Mink, the tiny brown wolf, barreling through the undergrowth. Her green eyes are wild, ears laid back and tail drawn in a submissive posture. 

Before she can shoot past me, I stop her with a low bark. She pauses, coming to a stuttered halt. She shakes as she stands in front of me, her thin fur shaking with fear. Lykus wanders towards us, distracted by Mink's frightened manner.

"Mink, what's the matter? What's wrong?" I ask.

"Its the Eastern Pack. They're coming!" She cries out in a shaky voice. Its the first time I've heard her talk. She's not only the lowest ranking pack member, she's quiet and shy. I feel sympathy for her; I can't imagine what her life in the pack must be like. Raff seems fond of her, although he hides it well for the sake of his position. 

My hackles shoot up. From what I've heard about the Eastern Pack, they're my pack's worst enemy. The rogues are bad, but these wolves are worse. I overheard Felan saying that they stole a litter of pups one time, and they were never seen again. 

I shake my head to clear my thoughts and glare into Mink's shifty eyes. "Take Lykus back to Uma. I need to tell Croan."

She nods, although I can see her hesitation as she glances at Lykus. I give him a gentle nudge before bursting into the clearing, scanning for Croan. I spot him talking with Kent and Raff, his eyes slightly narrowed. He looks deep in conversation, but I have to tell him. 

I shoulder myself between Kent and Raff, suprising the two male wolves. 

Kent can sense my fear almost instantly. "Alari, what's wrong?"

"Croan, the Eastern Pack are coming our way. Mink just warned me," I say, without meeting Kent's eyes. I feel Raff stiffen against me as I mention Mink.

The alpha's eyes narrow to slits, his pupils shrink to slivers of black. I can almost feel his anger radiating through the camp like the sun beating down on my back.