Tricks

"Una!" I call as Keala and I stumble inside our home. The female wolf springs out from inside a den, fur raised and teeth bared. She calms as she sees Keala injured and rushes over. She bends down, sniffing and licking her raised back leg.

"Thank goodness, it's only a sprain." Una lets out a sigh of relief. "Keala, go to Derray. Alari, what's going on out there? Croan told me it was the Eastern Pack. Are they attacking?"

I nod. "It seemed quiet for a while, but one of them attacked Keala and that's when the fighting started. Raff told me not to fight with them, but it feels wrong that I'm just sitting by, watching."

"Perhaps you could stand guard and warn us if you see them coming. From what I heard, you're strong enough to take down a full grown caribou."

I wag my tail in thanks. "That sounds good. Stay with Derray and the others. I'll bark if I see them." Before I turn away, I add, "And maybe you should have Mink hide with you, too."

I see a flash of hesitation in the elderly she-wolf's eyes, but its disappears as she glances over her shoulder at the small wolf. Mink is curled against a tiny den, her fur stuck up and eyes wide in fear.

Una lets out a quiet sigh. "I'll let her join us. Now, go!"

I fly back around, kicking dry dirt off the ground as I sprint towards the entrance. The forest is quiet, the silence only interrupted by a shrieking bird. It must have seen the fight and fled.

As I shove my ears forward, I can catch the distant howling and snarling of the wolves. My feet pace the ground, tail stuck out stiffly as I wait for any movement in the undergrowth. 

Its only been a few moments when a grey wolf barrels out from behind a large fern. Claws outstretched, eyes narrowed to furious slits, I shrink back in fear. I've never engaged another wolf in battle. 

I fight panic as the wolf dives forward, digging his claws into the front of my shoulders. He flips me over with an angry snarl, jamming his muzzle against my chest. The breath leaves my lungs as my back slams against the ground, driving my spine into the ground. I struggle against his grip, feeling fire-hot breath on my neck. As I wriggle and swipe blindly, my back claws snag his belly fur. He growls in anger and leaps back, bringing me with him. 

I swipe at him as his claws release my shoulders. My claw catches his muzzle, sending droplets of dark blood flying across the camp. He nose wrinkles and fury and he charges forward, slamming his head against my own. Pain shoots through my skulls as he pushes me to the ground, driving my head into the dirt. I struggle, writhing as he pushes me tighter against the ground. His teeth grab the back of my neck and he shakes furiously, making me dizzy. 

I catch a glimmer of brown shades of fur in the undergrowth charging towards us at full speed. Kent flies out from the bushes, thick fur whipping in the wind. With his fur puffed up and his ears shoved forward, he looks like the most intimidating wolf I've ever seen. He launches himself onto the grey male, causing him to roll across the clearing and release me. 

I quickly scramble to my paws, wriggling the pain out of my neck. I can't feel any blood, but I notice a small scarlet puddle where I was laying. I groan and turn towards Kent and the attacker. Kent is on two legs, his front paws swiping at the grey male. The intruder's ears are laid back, tail tucked between his legs in submission. My packmate looks strong and healthy compared to the other male's skinny body. I can't help but glare at Kent as he battles the weakening wolf. 

Kent only has to give him an angry glare when he drops back to his paws, causing the wolf to whip around and flee back the way he came. I watch him until his grey tail disappears into the forest, then turn towards Kent.