Home

I walked with Kent, Rydal, and Raff until my pawsteps falter as a strong scent washes over my nose. I stop in my tracks, my paws suddenly glued to the forest floor. Once they hear me stop, Kent glances over his shoulder, his eyes glued to me.

"Are you alright? He asks, cocking his head.

I smile and nod as I realize the scent belongs to wolves, lots of them. My paws urge me to run faster, to reach my new home, but I stay calm and keep myself beside Kent. He throws me a glance, his lip curling up into a small smile. I smile back, shyly.

Then my smile fades and my jaw drops once again as we come into my new pack's home. It is well guarded by massive, towering pine trees. The wolves sleep under large rocks or inside holes dug in mounds of earth and dirt.

I barely have time to take it all in before someone smashes into me. I'm thrown sideways, stumbling to grip on the ground. Kent jumps to my side and growls, glaring into the dark eyes of a wiry grey wolf. His ribs are obvious under his mistreated coat, and I feel a twinge of sympathy for the hungry pack.

"What do you think you're doing, Lakota? You have no right to-"

Lakota hushes him with a fierce snarl. "Who is she? How do we know she isn't a spy for the Eastern pack? Get her out of here!"

Kent takes a deep breath, trying to calm himself. "Her name is Alari. Croan said she could join the pack."

"Your uncle is foolish to let a stranger join us!"

Kent snaps back with a furious growl. "You know where you stand, Lakota. Do not make it worse."

Lakota's eyes flash with anger, and his gaze lingers on me before he slinks away into the shadows of a large rock.

Kent waits a moment before turning back to me, his face stretched with annoyance. "...Sorry about him. He's my half-brother, but we're nothing alike."

I nod simply. "I understand. It's okay."

Kent smiles until Raff comes forward, glancing at me. "I'll show her around, Kent. I think Croan wants you."

He motions with his large nose toward the massive silver wolf, standing atop a gleaming stone. His eyes are fixed on Kent, but he seems distracted. Once Kent looks his way, he gestures for him to meet him.

"Uh, I'll see you later, Alari," Kent says before loping towards Croan.

I watch him go until Raff's dark fur flashes at the corner of my eye and I turn to follow him. While I trail behind him, Rydal hops along beside to join me as we head towards a sunny rock. Two female wolves lay on the ground, one pregnant. The other female's eyes are glued on her pup, a dark brown male with curious eyes. I can tell the she-wolf is exhausted; when she turns to look at me, she doesn't even notice me as a newcomer.

To ease the awkwardness, Rural steps forward, nudging to the she wolf.

"Una, this is Alari. She's joining the pack." Rydal's voice is sweet and quiet as she talks to the tired she wolf. "Alari, this is Una, Croan's mate."

Una's eyes turn to me, and I gulp in the fear that she won't agree with the decision of her mate.

But she only smiles softly. "Welcome, Alari. Where are you from?"

"...Everywhere. I was a loner for most of my life. I'm very fortunate that I was allowed into your pack."

I hear the pregnant wolf stir beside me. "Furtunate? You were lucky, hun."

Her tone is harsh and unfriendly, making my shoulder fur rise. I watch as she scoffs and disappears into the shadows of her den.

Una turns to me. "Don't mind Derray. She doesn't like being pregnant, although I can't blame her. Lykus is my last pup after many, many litters. Derray is my eldest."