XVIII

"Did you see the look on Pew's face when she realized she was trapped," Jeremy said, laughing so hard he started choking.

"We have battles next week. We are going to KICK ASS with you on our team," Star squealed happily.

I opened my mouth to express my own enthusiasm when something caught my eye. I cocked my head, focusing my eyes a couple feet ahead where a large crowd was quickly congregating.

"What are they looking at?"

"Who?" Star asked, before following my gaze.

"Let's check it out."

Nodding, I followed Jeremy quickly over to the crowd. Pushing my way through the crowd, I squeezed into a spot that was close enough to see what they were looking at. My blood ran cold when I saw him. A scrawny little boy with hair so thick it was completely shielding his face. His body lay there still as puddles of blood were quickly surrounding him.

"What the hell?"

"What is it Saron? I can't see," Star asked, struggling to see over the crowd of people on her tippy toes.

"A boy is dead."

She tugged on my sleeve, bringing my attention back on her.

"Could you find out what happened? Like you did with the girl?"

"Shit," I said out loud, ignoring Star's confusion.

Was this death connected to that girl? I shivered at the memory of her gruesome death.

I pushed forward, the students clearing once they recognized who I was. Star was right. I had to figure out what happened. If their deaths were connected, we had a serial killer on our hands.

I stepped around him, kneeling before brushing his hair to the sides to reveal his face.

"What are you doing?" an unknown voice asked. I turned around to find another boy, the spitting image of the one lying before me. I looked back at the boy before looking at him realizing they were twins.

I opened my mouth to question him on what had happened but after seeing his blood shot eyes, clearly from balling his eyes out and his trembling body, I couldn't find it in me to make him relive the memory.

"I'm sorry for your loss." 

Sniffing, he wiped his runny nose with his sleeve before nodding. His silence said everything he couldn't bring himself to say. I could see from the softening of his eyes that he was allowing me to find out what happened. Behind that hurt and pain, I could see a silent fury, a fury that demanded for justice. Recognizing that feeling, I shot him a sad smile before placing my hand on the boys cold forehead and closing my eyes. Just as before, I felt myself being transported to his final memory.

"Finally. That class is torture."

"I told you we should've skipped, but you wanted to be a goody two shoes."

"That's my job as your older brother, Dawit. Who else is gonna keep your sorry ass in line?" The boy joked before ruffling his brother's hair roughly.

"Whatever you say Dez," Dawit replied, rolling his eyes as he swatted Dez's hand away.

"Where's Fre? He should be here by now. Text him to hurry his ass up. I'm starving," Dez whined, annoyed.

"Let's just go without him. He'll meet us there."

"Remember what happened last time we ditched him? He wouldn't let us forget it for a month."