XXII

We followed Crexus as he stomped ahead, not giving any indication that he knew where he was going. Yet, he was walking with such an air of confidence, I was convinced he knew where he was leading us so I stayed quiet.

"What are you thinking about?" Zion asked, his eyes gaging me carefully. I had almost forgotten he was beside me and could only imagine what he was thinking.

"The same thing you are," I replied, noticing the worry in his eyes. If the horrors of the forest were as Edward said, yes I was scared shitless. But everyone I loved tagging along and the idea of being trapped there forever? That was even worse.

"It'll be alright."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I'm not," he said, winking at me causing my cheeks to flush with heat.

"I see something," Star called out, waving us over to her and Joel.

We rushed over to see what she had found, seeing a tiny green plant sprouting out of the dust. To call it a plant was being generous, it was little more than a tiny leaf sprouting from a skinny little stem.

We turned our attention towards Crexus, waiting for his approval that this was indeed what we were looking for.

After bending slightly that his gigantic shadow covered the plant completely, he rose up nodding.

Star reached out to touch the plant before he yelled, "STOP!"

She jumped back, crashing into Joel in fright.

Tell your friends you must all join hands before touching the flower. If not, you'll all land in different parts of the forest, separated from one another.

And you can't tell them this because?

They're not my friends. They're yours.

Sighing I looked up, before saying, "We have to hold hands."

"What?" Jeremy asked, barely stifling a giggle.

"Wait, why?" Tom asked, curiously.

"Because Crexus told her to. Everyone join hands," Edward ordered.

I looked to him in surprise, not knowing he was aware that Crexus had been telepathically speaking to me. Then again, he had been a part of the supernatural world much longer than I had so it shouldn't surprise me.

"I didn't hear him say anything," Joel said, scratching his head in confusion.

"He didn't say it out loud, he told me in my mind," I said casually before grabbing Zion's hand, ignoring his and everyone but Edward's looks of confusion.

"Tom, grab my hand," I ordered, seeing everyone else linked to someone but him.

I heard Zion mutter something indecipherable under his breath, which I didn't have time to ask about before Star touched the plant. Immediately, we found ourselves in the forest, as Crexus had said we would. We all let go of one another as we took in our surroundings.

It was covered in trees, that rose up endlessly, blocking the sky with its thick branches that were covered in heaves. Autumn leaves were on the ground, wet from what I assumed was rain. I could see all sorts of bugs climbing in and out of rocks, up trees, out of plants, etc. I felt my skin crawl as I noticed a few snake holes, hoping we wouldn't come in contact with any. I could see a small pond up ahead, more grey than blue. Not caring, I made my way towards it as I felt my throat crying out for moisture.

"Wait," Edward said, stopping me dead in my tracks.

"What?"

"We should tread carefully. We don't know what to expect. And we should walk close to each other."