Chapter 21: Maneuver

"So what is it?" I asked after a good second of silence.

"Isn't it brainiac?" Erica asked me. "This was in the gum section of the CIA manual. How do you not know this stuff?"

I never actually read the gum area of the CIA intuition manual, so I just stuttered out the words I don't know.

"Geez, Ben, for a nerd like you, you really don't like to read," Erica said.

"We're supposed to use this," Catherine said delightfully, pulling out a pack of mint gum.

"We're supposed to mint gum?" I asked.

Catherine frowned and took a look at what she was holding.

"Oh my heavens, sorry darling, this one," Catherine said, blushing slightly, pulling out a pack of bubble gum.

"How does that even make a difference?" I asked.

"The mint gum packet was actually a normal pack of gum," Catherine explained and then pointed to the pack of bubble gum. "This is actually a piece of dough that can stick on someone's fingerprint onto it. From there, we can use the fingerprint on the piece of dough to scan in."

Seeing my confused look on my face, Catherine said, "Nevermind, you'll see."

There was a sudden ding from the elevator, indicating someone was coming. We all spun our heads around, and Catherine quickly stuck the gum to the door handle, where someone might put their finger while opening the door.

"Goodie, someone's already coming! Just in time, children. This way, please," Catherine said, leading Erica and me to another hallway near the metal room.

The man had a black mask on so we could see their face. He quickly checked if anyone was watching him and then scanned his fingerprint on the door. The door made a "click" sound, and he opened the door, his middle finger just touching the piece of gum stuck to it. He quickly entered the room and disappeared. We waited a good two minutes before calling it clear.

"Alright, now that his fingerprint is on the piece of gum, we should be able to enter," Catherine said, peeling the piece of gum off of the handle and sticking it on the scanner.

It made a "click" sound again, and we all walked inside of the room.

What I saw nearly made me faint. The room was splattered with gold. There were boxes of gold with lots and lots of jewelry.

"Oh my goodness," Catherine exclaimed with excitement, "we did it!"

"Not yet," Erica said. "We still need to be the gold out of here and make it out in one piece."

"Okay, so do we have any ideas on how to carry all of this out?" I asked. "This is quite heavy."

"That I can manage," Erica replied and grabbed a massive box of gold two times her size. "Mom and I will handle that."

Catherine and Erica grabbed scoops of gold and tossed them in the bag before anyone spotted us. I watched as we caught all the gold into the box, and soon the gold dissolved.

"Alright," Erica said, grabbing the last gold necklace into the bag. "I think that's it."

"Or is it?" A voice asked behind us. We all gasped as someone found us and spun around and found a girl standing behind us. Not any girl but a specific girl, Ashley Sparks.

"Hey jidiots," she said, smirking holding a gun in her hand. "Where do you think your going?"

"You know that you can't get away with this right?" Ashley asked, grabbing the boxes of gold away from us.