Chapter 2 - That First Glimpse

"Elvis, there isn't time to stop. We're scheduled to be at the hotel in fifteen minutes."

I saw my screaming fans lining the roads as our van went by, and I waved at them all. After a long road trip, with only a few stops, all I wanted to do was greet my fans in Seattle. I glanced at my manager in the passenger's seat, then at the fans going by, one hand on the wheel. "We don't have to be there exactly at noon, Colonel," I said and smiled and waved. "It wouldn't hurt to stop."

"But we're meeting with the hotel manager at 12:15, which means we need to be there by noon."

I forgot about that. "Alright, alright. But once we get settled in, I wanna go and say hi to my fans."

"You'll have plenty of opportunity for that later since this city will be swarming with them due to your presence here. Your schedule's jammed today. You're meeting the hotel management, then you have a meeting with Norman Taurog. You'll be with him until the end of the day. Then tomorrow, it's straight to the set."

I eyed the Space Needle as we went by it. Boy, wasn't that a sight? With my full schedule, I didn't think that I would be able to do anything recreational for a while, like go up the Space Needle. I knew that I would be doing that for a scene... we would see how that goes. I wasn't a fan of heights.

"I hope I get a chance to sleep tonight," I joked.

"Be lucky that you can. It's go, go, go until this movie is through."

I loved acting in movies and traveling to do concerts and fan meets and such, but sometimes, a guy just needs a day of rest, like my momma would call Sunday. Sundays were just as jammed as any other day. I didn't even get to go to church like I wanted.

We came up to the hotel, the Hyatt Hotel. It was a decent size, nine stories, it looked, and had a few wings. We were told to park our vehicles on the side of the building, and I would go through a side door while one of the crew would go and check us in. We didn't do that in that small backwater town in the southern part of Washington. What was the name of it? K... something. Kalama? I came right into the lobby and shocked the bajeezus out of the front desk lady. That was a hoot.

We came to the needed area, and I got out. I carried two suitcases while one of my detail held two of my others, while at the same time, carrying his as well. "Hey, John, let me carry another one of mine," I proposed.

"It's fine, Mr. Presley."

I had told this man who was bulkier than me and a few inches taller that he could call me by my first name, but he insisted on being formal. Oh well. I liked when people were comfortable around me enough to call me by my first name. He was being polite and professional, and I respected that.

We came through a door and was met by a long empty hallway with no doors on the sides like any other hotel hallway. It was probably one for employees. We headed down it. Honestly, this wasn't the way that I wanted to enter a hotel, but the Colonel wanted to avoid the crowds, unlike what happened in Kalama. He wasn't a big fan of my wanting to say hi to all my fans when they all showed up, and he even looked for some nonexistent back door to the suites I rented out.

While walking down this hallway with my manager and detail – two suited men, including John – we walked past another hallway, one that had people in it. Or more one person. We passed this hallway that went off into another direction for only a couple seconds, but I saw a woman dressed in what looked like a maid's dress, and she was using a feather-duster. She had jet-black hair tied back in a bun, black like mine, only hers was unmistakably natural since, from the glimpse I saw of her face, the woman, or more girl, looked Asian.

"Okay, Elvis," said the Colonel, and my thoughts returned to what we were doing. I only saw a glimpse of that girl, but she looked attractive. Of course, all girls were pretty in their own way, and that girl was definitely pretty.