Chapter 15 - Unexpected Plans

"I'm not sure what we're going to do here," the Colonel said as Norman and I sat in the sitting room in the Colonel's suit

"I'm not sure what we're going to do here," the Colonel said as Norman and I sat in the sitting room in the Colonel's suit. "We're on a tight schedule, and if that girl can't be in the scenes that we need to shoot, we'll be behind. We can't be even a day."

My right leg bounced up and down, and I crossed my legs before either of the men could notice. Should I say something? "You can't control people gettin' sick."

"You can control what you do about it, though," he countered.

"So, what are we going to do?" asked Norman. "Elvis is the star. This movie revolves around his schedule."

"I would say it revolves around yours," I said to Norman. "You're the director. I do what you tell me to."

"On the set," he corrected. "The movie is made around your schedule. If you ask me, you should take a free day. I think you deserve it."

I smiled at that, liking that Norman had my well-being in mind. I looked at my manager and saw him purse his lips. I knew what meant. He didn't like me, or himself, even, to have days off. It was go, go, go all the time. "I think we need to find someone to keep track of Vicky."

My heart started beating faster. I really needed to say something. Maybe I would just have to say it with the Colonel present. He would find out about it, anyway, if I mention it to Norman. "I have an idea."

Both men looked at me. "And what's that?" asked Norman, and his balding head shined from the above light.

"I have a person in mind. She works in this hotel. She's a friend of mine."

"Elvis, don't you dare," the Colonel warned instantly.

"Wait, wait, you know someone who can watch Vicky today?" Norman asked, interested. "And she works here?"

"Yes, she does. Honestly, I have no idea if she's watched children before, but she's a very kind person and has a strong head on her shoulders. I think Vicky would like her very much."

Before my manager could say anything to retort, Norman said, "I like her already. What's her name? How old is she? What is her position here?"

"She's a maid," the Colonel said. "Elvis, really, drop this."

"Why is this such a big problem?" Norman asked. "I think it's perfect that she's a maid. She's not going to put up with anything that little Vicky throws at her, and she knows the meaning of hard work and tight schedules. Now, what's her name?"

The Colonel said nothing. Carry was right in saying that he wouldn't mention Amy farther and reveal our relationship. Well, past one, and it wasn't even that long. "Her name is Amy Kim," I told him. "She's twenty-two and is the daughter of Mrs. Kim who played the Chinese woman in the Chinese restaurant booth scene on the fair grounds."

Norman's mouth turned into an O. "Oh, this girl is Mrs. Kim's daughter? Why didn't you say so in the first place? Yes, let's find her and get onto the set to watch Vicky. Is she here right now?"