Chapter 21 - Cat's Out of the Bag

My back began to ache since I had been leaning against my shut locker at work for the past five minutes, thinking about how I would start that conversation with...

I really couldn't believe he was the one who was the snitch, after he promised.

"Amy, what's the matter?"

I snapped out of it and leaned off of my locker. Carry came up to me, her outside clothes on - a white blouse tucked into a skinny blue skirt. I had come in a little early just in case I ran into the guy who I was once crushing on. After knowing, or more speculating since I hadn't talked to him yet about what happened, my feelings for him had vanished. People had said that those kinds of feels didn't go away just like that, but in this case, for me, they did. My trust in him diminished enormously as well.

"I don't know what to think or feel, Carry."

She began putting her purse into her locker, and she started to undress as her maid's dress hung over the thin wooden bench in front of the lockers. She creased her brows. "What do you mean?"

"I mean..." I said quietly so no one around us would hear. There were several women getting dressed around us. "I know who told on me."

She put her outside attire into her locker and began slipping her maid's dress over her undergarments. She whispered, "Yeah, that no-good manager of Elvis's."

I turned more to face her and shook my head. "No, actually, it wasn't. It was someone who I didn't think would say something."

She buttoned up the front of the dress. "It wasn't Bernice, then? She would be the next likely candidate."

"I know, but..." I pursed my lips as Carry finished dressing and closed up her locker. Her blonde hair was already done up in a bun, and my black hair was the same. "Who else knows about Elvis and me, other than Mrs. Hewitt, Bernice, Colonel Parker, you and me? Who else did we talk about?"

She thought for a moment, then her eyes widened, and her mouth opened. "Oh my goodness... Jimmy?"

I nodded. "Yes. Well, yesterday, I snuck onto the 9th floor during my lunch break so I could slip Elvis a note to call me."

She gasped. "You did? What if you were caught? You would've been fired since you're on your second infraction!"

I looked around and noticed that nobody heard that or paid attention. I said in a hushed tone and leaned in close, "I know, but that's not the point. So, I sent the note, and he called me that night. We talked, and I found out that Colonel Parker never said a word, and Bernice revealed that she never said anything, so who else would know about me and Elvis? Who was with me outside of the hotel that night after my day on the set? Jimmy."

Carry leaned a shoulder against her locker, folded her arms and shook her head. "Jimmy, Jimmy... the things a guy will do for a girl. He probably thought he was doing you a favor."

"What favor? He was jealous. That's why he did it."

"Do you know for sure that he did? Have you talked to him already this morning? It looks like you got here early."

I shook my head. "No, I haven't talked to him, I'm only guessing that he was the snitch. I was hoping to talk to him – that's why I came early – but I never saw him come in. I'll try to snag him after the morning meeting and in a place where no one will overhear."

"I think more and more people will know about this from here on out. People saw you and Elvis together on the movie set, and you never know if other people saw you two have a moment together here at the hotel afterwards."

I grimaced. "You're right."

I leaned against the locker in disdain, really causing pain in my back this time since I rammed into the metal. Carry came up close to me and said right near my face, "Hey, don't sweat it, okay? You expected this to happen. It comes with being involved with a star. You for sure will become one, too."