Chapter 17 - On the Set pt 2: Missing

My eyes seemed to follow Elvis everywhere that he went. When I wasn't tending to little Vicky, I was always looking at him. It had been about three hours since Elvis and Vicky practiced the car scene. We were told by Mr. Taurog that the outdoor scenes would be practiced after lunch – it was going to take a while to practice cutting across the man-made pond and climbing over the fences.

"You're looking at Elvis again," Vicky commented as she sat next to me on a ledge near that man-made pond that had three fountains in it. The rest of the crew was around eating their lunch, and Elvis was in one of those movie set chairs under an umbrella, shading him from the sun. He sat next to Mr. Taurog as they both bit into sandwiches and talked. Several people stood around them, including Colonel Parker who had a cigar in his mouth, and some cops. Elvis was so famous that he needed his detail and cops to protect him. Such a man was in love with me... wow.

(He's wearing a different outfit than in the picture, so imagine him in the other outfit he had to wear for the scene - brown leather jacket over a white shirt, and brown sacks

(He's wearing a different outfit than in the picture, so imagine him in the other outfit he had to wear for the scene - brown leather jacket over a white shirt, and brown sacks.)

"Yes, I know," I said after I swallowed some of my rice and kimchi that was supposed to be my lunch at the hotel. My day had changed vastly from how I imagined it to be after I woke up in the morning. "It's a bit difficult to keep my eyes off of him."

"Because you're his fan?" she asked with a mouth full of her ham and cheese sandwich that her mother packed for her.

"Um..." I looked at Vicky as she took another bite. She was only seven years old. She didn't need to know the complications of an adult relationship. "Yes, that's why."

I took another bite of my food, and I noticed Vicky looking up at me, her mouth still going with chewing her food. I met her gaze as she studied me. She swallowed her food, then said, "Amy, I think that you're Elvis's fan, and I think he is your fan, too."

"What do you mean?"

"If you're looking at him because you're his fan, then he must be looking at you because he's your fan, too."

Of course, that would make sense in her innocent little head. "Yes, I suppose so. We're fans of each other, I guess."

She made an expression like she was thinking hard about something. "Or... does he like you? Like a boy likes a girl? And you like him, too?"

My heart jumped, and I looked down at my little ward for the day. I had to give her a goofy smile. "Now, how would you know about all that stuff, huh?"

She shrugged a shoulder. "I have an older brother and sister, and they both have someone they like. They talk about it all the time. Ginny says that she can't stop looking at the boy she likes. Both you and Elvis are looking at each other a lot."

She was more in-tune to this kind of thing than I thought. I guess it did help to have older siblings to observe and learn from. I never had that growing up since I was an only child.