Chapter 19 - Conflict

My breath almost got knocked out of me as Carry flung her arms around me and wrapped me in a tight hug. We were in the locker room preparing for the day, and a long day for me. I would be working twelve hours and twelve hours the next day to make up for the extra eight that I didn't work the day I was on the set.

"Oh my gosh, Amy!" Carry squealed, and some of our fellow maids looked over at us, a question in their eyes. "I knew you couldn't fight it anymore!"

"Shh, shh, Carry! Please!"

"Right." She let go of me, and we leaned in close to her locker, both of our heads almost inside of it. She whispered, "So this is it? No more breaking his heart and being off and on?"

"I really don't know. We have to keep this a secret. I really don't want to get fired, yet I want to be with him more than I wanted anything in my life."

"Then he's more important than your job. We talked about this before – if you lose your job, it's not the end of the world. Your family will be able to keep the apartment. And if you need help financially, I'm willing to lend a hand."

I smiled at her, grateful. "No, don't do that. If we get found out, we get found out."

"It's all worth it, right?"

"Very. Come what may."

"And love it."

We giggled and got to getting dressed. As I tied my apron around me, I noticed Bernice eyeing me. I looked away, not wanting to be awkward.

Carry and I headed to the morning meeting, and throughout the whole thing, I was given glances by both Jimmy and Bernice. I knew why Jimmy was staring at me – he knew that I knew Elvis personally, and he liked me – but why was Bernice staring at me?

"Jerry called me last night," Carry whispered as Mrs. Hewitt was giving the assignments for the day, and of course, only the men were still allowed on the 9th floor.

"Really?"

"Yeah. He asked me on a date. We're going tomorrow night."

I had been so absorbed with what was happening with Elvis and me, that I forgot about my best friend's secret romance. "I'm so happy for you, Carry."

She grinned beautifully. "Thanks. I'm so happy, I could fly to the moon. I've never felt like this before."

I linked my arm with hers as Mrs. Hewitt concluded her assigning. "I feel the same way."

Honestly, I didn't think I would feel like this about any other man again. I didn't even want to think about being with another man.

I caught Jimmy's glance by accident and quickly looked away. Odd that I even had the inclination to think about it.

"Alright, that will be all," called Mrs. Hewitt, and everyone dispersed to tend to their various assignments. I walked along with Carry to the large supply room. We were assigned separate floors like usual. Mrs. Hewitt did that on purpose so we didn't waste time chatting away since we were friends.

"Alright, well, see you at lunch," Carry told me after we got out maid's carts, and we separated. I wheeled my cart to the elevator, and as I stood in it as it rose three floors, I checked my cart's contents. My brows creased.

"What? I thought I grabbed the glass cleaner." I pulled up the bottle with blue liquid in it and read the label. "Psht, I gabbed the surface cleaner. I really need to get my head on straight."

With what was going on in my life at the moment, that was a tall order.

The elevator door opened, and I went on out of it into the empty hallway. "I guess I'll have to go to the supply room... that's on the other side of this wing."