Chapter 1

/Present Time/

They're the Pogues and their mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time. John B stood at the top of a building, beer in hand and holding one leg over the ledge. "Careful John B," Chloe said.

"What's that? A three story drop to the deck? I'll give you a one in three chance of survival," Pope stated.

John licked his finger and stuck it in the air. "So should I do it then?"

"Yeah, I'll shoot you on the way down."

Kiara walked over to the boys. "They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers, ridiculous right?" Chloe shrugged and turned to look at JJ. "Why wouldn't they, they're rich anyways," he muttered. "They don't care about the turtles."

Kiara looked up at John B, whom was still sticking his leg over the edge. "Could you not kill yourself?"

"And don't spill that beer JB!" JJ exclaimed. Suddenly John stumbled and spilled the beer onto the deck.

"Smooth one John B," Chloe snapped.

"Dumbass," Kiara scoffed.

At that time a security car pulled up to the building. "Boys must be earlier today, we should go."

"Yeah let's go boys and girls," John B replied as he climbed down off of the roof. JJ looked over the ledge before jumping down.

"Gary is that you?" He asked. "Gary! Good to see you man."

The teens ran out of the building with the security guard right on their tail. John B easily hopped over the fence with Chloe right behind him. She loved the action the five of them always got into. Chloe jumped into the van while John B started the engine. "Bus is leaving!" John exclaimed as Pope and JJ hopped in.

"You're gonna give the poor man a heart attack one day JJ," Chloe explained. The boy looked at her and laughed. "Oh come on, that sort of initiative is just begging to be punished!"

Chloe smiled back at her best friends. She had been a Pogue since birth and met John B when she went to elementary school. Last year, her parents died in a terrible car wreck so John B's dad took her in. However, 9 months ago John's dad disappeared at sea leaving the teens to live alone. The group lived in The Outer Banks, paradise on earth. It's known as a place where you either have two jobs or two houses. There's two tribes that make up this island. John B and the teens drove by fancy houses. "Figure 8, full of kooks and snobs," JJ muttered.

Chloe knew exactly what the Figure 8 was, it's the rich side of the island. Home of the kooks which is the opposite of where the teens lived. The cut was the home of the Pogues. The five teens were all part of this group and loved every minute of it. Chloe and her friends could do whatever they want, whenever they want, which was the plus side of being a Pogue. "Well, about time we got home!" JJ exclaimed.

JJ, John B's best friend and Chloe's first and only ex boyfriend. She still considers him her best friend though. He's about as local as they come around here. He comes from a family who lives off of the water. Also JJ is the best surfer Chloe knows, however she did not tell him this.

"It was your idea to go out today JJ," Kiara sneered. Kiara or Kie, the most recent edition to the group. She's a rich kid however she enjoys hanging out with Chloe and the boys instead. Her family owns The Wreak, a famous restaurant on the island. Chloe wasn't sure if her parents really liked them. Chloe has noticed all of the boys seem to have a thing for her.

"Why do we listen to JJ anyways?" Pope asked. "Haven't we learned not to listen to him?" Pope, he's the brains of the group. Chloe met him in science class back in the 3rd grade. He's a bit of a weirdo but Chloe loved him all the same. His father could get you anything you wanted on the island.