Chapter 14

An alarm woke Chloe up at 3 in the morning. The girl stretched and yawned, it was way too early for this. Chloe pulled a bikini top on and put a cute long white shirt on over it. She tiptoed over to Sarah's room and climbed in bed next to her. "I'll see you later baby," Chloe whispered. "I love you."

"I love you too Chlo," Sarah replied with a smile. Chloe pecked the girl on the lips then left the room. All she really wanted to do was cuddle up next to Sarah and spend the day with her. However, Ward wanted her and John B to go, so they would go without a fight. Chloe grabbed a granola bar from the pantry and made her way over to the Druthers where she found John B fixing up the fishing rods. He looked up at her and rolled his eyes. Clearly, he didn't want to be here either. They both wanted to be getting the gold today.

"Morning JB," Chloe said.

"Morning Chlo."

Chloe snacked on a granola bar while she waited for Ward to arrive. As much as she loved fishing she wasn't looking forward to this morning. Chloe spotted the man walking towards the boat wearing a fancy button up and nice shorts. Immediately Chloe thought, "We're fishing not going out."

"Mornin' boss," John B said.

"Yes it is, look at you already hard at work. I like that!" He exclaimed. "Ready to go kids?"

"Yeah let's get this show on the road," Chloe replied. The teens followed Ward up to the top of the boat and sat down.

"Guffy said he got into it pretty good just north of Big Rock," John B stated. "Maybe we should go up there."

"Guffy, huh? With the mouth on him, there'll be 15 boats up there already. I say we go south. It'll be just us down there," Ward explained. Chloe looked over at John B and shrugged.

"Yeah, okay," The teens said. Ward started up the boat and pulled away from the dock. The morning breeze was light and cool. Chloe admired the stars, they we're still bright in the sky. John B and Ward filled the silence with small talk about his future. Of course, the two of them weren't thinking about going to college since they had money issues. However, if Chloe got her hands on her cut of the gold then she'd pay to go to the same college as Sarah. She didn't want to go far from her. Chloe wanted to tell Ward about how much she loved his daughter however the unknown was terrible. Maybe he'd hate her and would forbid the two of them from being together. Chloe would have to pull a Romeo, without the death part of course.

A couple hours passed by and finally the sun started to rise which meant it was time to get to work. "Go ahead, pour yourself some grapefruit juice," Ward said. "And pour me a little bit of Tito's please."

John B went over to the cooler and poured Ward a small glass of Tito's then filled two glasses with grapefruit juice. "Thanks JB."

"Chloe, is there anyone special in your life?" Ward asked. Chloe's face went red and she smiled.

"Yeah, there's this one person, um.. yeah," Chloe murmured which madeWard chuckle. The two of them locked eyes for a moment. Chloe felt a shiver go down her spine.

"I know who it is."

Chloe's face dropped as she looked over to John B. He looked just as confused as she did. "Who?"

The man started to laugh harder this time. "I'm just kidding, why'd you look so scared?" Chloe gave him a nervous laugh and shrugged. Could this day get any weirder?

"We picked a good one, didn't we?" Ward asked.

"Yeah," Chloe replied.

"Hit me again please." John B poured some more Tito's into the man's cup. "And hold the grapefruit juice on this one. Let's get this day on its feet. In fact, you know what? Go ahead and pour yourself some, and Chloe too."