Understanding (Tartaglia x Reader)

🌸ART CREDITS: @/KIYASURIIN ON TWITTER🌸

Y/n's POV

"You're awfully quiet," Childe remarked.

"Leave Y/n alone!! She has trouble talking," Paimon scolded. "Why are you tagging along with us anyway?! Don't you have shady Fatui stuff to be doing? Y/n can handle herself!"

Childe shook his head. "'Shady Fatui stuff'? My, how you wound me. Since you wouldn't have gotten this far without my intel, I believe I'm free to do as I please. Y/n doesn't mind, right?"

I looked down pressing my pointer fingers together, causing Paimon to shout.

"Why are you blushing at-"

I swatted at the little gremlin. She couldn't be any more embarrassing...

"Hmph!" She grumbled. "If you're gonna treat Paimon that way, I'll be off then!"

Before I could stop her, Paimon flew off. This...is gonna be difficult.

"Hey, are you okay?" Childe asked.

I'll have to do the talking myself now... The Knights of Favonious and others have helped me with Teyvat's native language, but...I sound so weird when I talk. Childe might make fun of me... I stole a glance at him. Well, he didn't seem all that bad. He has been helpful so far...

I was still wary, so I simply nodded in response, although I wasn't okay. I was incredibly nervous being around him despite being acquainted with him for two weeks now. At first, he told me about the adepti after the Rite of Descension incident, and for some reason, he went with me to find them... Now, I was working on getting resources for the Rite of Parting. I really didn't need him, aside from his money. Mr. Zhongli provided the details to perform the rite, while unfortunately a Fatui Harbinger provided the funding and much to my dismay, protection. I can protect myself. I might be venturing into areas I've missed before in Liyue, but I don't need this man-

I stole another glance at him, but he caught my eyes and sent me a smile. I puffed out my cheeks. Hmph.

"Hey girlie?"

I froze, causing him to laugh. "That's cute. I'm sorry, I guess me leading off with that makes you..." He grinned. "Hold still."

"Creep," I mumbled.

He tilted his head. "What?"

I shook my head.

He frowned. "Give me something here Y/n! We might have different backgrounds and goals, but we can at least have small talk! I'm not like the other Fatui."

I spoke a bit louder. "I don't like talking."

"Why?" he questioned. "You sound cute when you actually do."

I tripped over a rock and fell to my knees, causing me to yelp. I huffed and crawled off the path we were following onto the nearby grass.

He rose an eyebrow before sitting in front of me. "I guess we can take a break."

I looked blankly at him as he stared right back.

"Stop," I demanded.

"You're the one who started it. I feel like you're challenging me, so I'm not gonna give up."

I averted my eyes and he cheered about winning. His name- or alias, rather, really suits him. I exhaled through my nose.

"Why are you so..." I trailed off.