•Chapter 30•

• Word count: 1,945

•••

Previously on HID: 

-Clara has thankfully been physically cured from her injuries after being kept under the domestic Doctor's close observation.

-Mira is slowly ducking and walking past the hurdles she initially put between her and Elias and finally allowing herself to explore new things with him.

-However, she's having trouble retaining her platonic relationship with Aurick, whose presence slowly arouses concern.

-After the suit and tie event, Mira knows exactly where each of Aurick and Elias stands.

•••

For the tenth time, I tug at the scarf around my neck, readjusting it to feel less suffocated. This is certainly not how I anticipated my first school break would be.

I've been looking forward to this break as an opportunity to spend some quality time with Clara and Élise. We haven't had any of that ever since we came back from Juniper's two days ago.

As I stand at the airplane's entrance, I check my watch one more time, delighted to see the passengers climbing the makeshift stairs to the plane.

An old woman, falters mid-way, struggling to make it to the gate. I rush to her side, urging her to hold on to me as I help her climb the stairs. Once she's in, I guide her all the way to her seat, reveling in her unnecessary thanking me for help.

"It's my job, Ma'am. Should you need anything, please let me know,"

She thanks me one more time and tells me she likes to spend the time meditating, claiming that the sky is the perfect medium for meditation. I finally leave her side with a smile to help the rest of the passengers to their assigned seats.

I check my watch again, realizing it's time for the Captain's announcement.

Once everyone is seated, the intercom buzzes slightly before a deep voice proceeds with the announcement, "Good Morning passengers. This is your captain speaking,"

I can't suppress the groan that escapes my throat. 

"First I'd like to welcome everyone on Vanguard Flight 26A. We are currently cruising at an altitude of 42,000 feet at an airspeed of 300 miles per hour,"

Why do my run-into's always have to be like this ? My being at the receiving end of the surprise is starting to get boring.

He didn't say anything about going on a local flight Sunday morning when we met at the event.

"The time is 7:25 am. The weather looks good and with the tailwind on our side we are expecting to land in Toulouse approximately fifteen minutes ahead of schedule." He says in French.

I shake my head, exhaling the effects of the shock, figuring it's better to be accustomed to moving on from shocks with ease, if that's how my life is turning out to be.

I'm assigned to serving meals and refreshments for today. My nose naturally scrunches in realisation that I'm expected to take the meals to the Captains.

My colleagues walk down the isles to instruct the passengers to shut their phones off and everything goes exactly as how it's planned.

In what feels like minutes rather than the actual 3 hours that I know have passed by, the Captain instructs the passengers to put their seatbelt on for landing.