•Chapter 29: Part 2•

•Word Count: 3,170

A fleeting burn in my eyes has me squeezing them shut immediately, blinking furiously against the mascara that's seeped into them.

When my vision finally clears, I stare at my reflection in the mirror, taking in the simple touch of makeup that's just a kohl liner, mascara and light pink lipgloss, before moving back to inspect my full outfit.

I look good.

Actually, I haven't looked this good in a while, with my hair pulled back in an elegant low bun with a single lock dangling to the right of my face, the end curled slightly.

I turn to the side to get a different angle view, the floor-length polyester navy blue gown twirling with the motion. Its A-line and long sleeves speak volumes of its modesty, while the sequined overlying tulle that flares from the empire waistline reflect the elegance that matches the formal occasion.

The O-neck design, which I falsely thought would be suffocating, and the court train give the dress equal touches of maturity and classiness.

I spot Élise's reflection on the mirror pulling at her head garment and screaming, probably grabbing a handful of her hair in the process, as she tries to take the piece of clothing off.

She made it her job for the past 20 minutes to make her aversion to head garments known, tugging and clawing at it at every chance she gets.

Walking towards her, I realise dressing her up too early was a mistake. I pry her fingers from her head, gently unraveling the locks from between the tight grip she has, and removing the garment completely. I decide I could leave her head naked until our handsome chaperone arrives.

I pick her up to stand in front of the mirror with her sitting on my arm, wanting to test the posture we'll be in for the entirety of the evening. We don't look like an elder and a baby sister, but rather, a mother and her beautiful daughter.

Élise points at my reflection in the mirror, "Mama,"

Lost for words, I bury my face in her neck, tickling her side whilst revelling in her chuckles.

A soft knock on the bedroom door interrupts Élise's throaty chuckles and pushes my heart into a leaping marathon. In record time, I fix Élise's hair and put the head garment back, but this time, I give her my lipgloss to keep her hands busy and away from her head.

I also allow myself a long-lasting, parting look in the mirror, just to make sure everything is in place. Another knock on the door has me sliding my feet into a pair of silver heeled sandals, grabbing my purse and Élise, and heading for the bedroom's door.

When I swing the door open, I almost drop Élise to the floor, my arms going completely limp with the shock.

"Good evening my beautiful ladies,"

What does he think he's doing ?

Élise waves the lipgloss in Elias' face, as if showing him the treasure in her hands, expecting him to be just as fascinated as she is. But I don't seem to notice his expression as my eyes are compulsively glued to his attire.

He can't do that! He can't match outfits with Élise; he just can't!

Élise jumps eagerly between my arms wanting to be set free, and I begin to wonder if she notices their matching outfits.
He grabs the lipgloss from her hand, looking weirdly at the bottle, "Interesting toy you got there,"

I try to ignore his curious gaze, hiding behind Élise's back as I hand her over to him, tuning out his chuckles at her eagerness.
When he's busy looking at her whilst she makes a show for him, I finally allow myself to steal a closer glance at his tie and handkerchief that are the exact shade of baby blue that's Élise's dress, and the dress shirt is white, just like her shrug.