•Chapter 2•

•Word count: 1,490

-5 months ago-

Unable to contain the staggering emotion at the events that just transpired, I allow the hovering tears to finally fall in warm streams down my face.

Blood. Blood.
The word echoes throughout the confines of my mind, mingling with the unanswered questions about the happenings of the previous hour.

I have mentally prepared myself for this day, I know I have. My parents made sure of it.
It's just... I can't even begin to explain how it feels -from the malicious poking in my chest, to the persistent throbbing in my mind, I'm struggling to accept the obvious reason behind my parents' disappearance.

Yet, my stubbornness cuts my reasoning's logical derivations short, forcing fantasied conclusions about my parents' fortunate survival.

Questions, so many questions, are pouring from my relentless mind, tormenting me with the need for answers -logical answers.

When? How? What ? Why? Where?

When did the fire start ? When did my parents wake up ? When did they leave?

How did it start ? What started it ?
Or was it a Who ?

Why us? Why my parents ?

The thought of the unforeseeable loss of my parents aggravates the fresh wounds, and my silent snivels turn into violent, wracking sobs.

"Why us?" I hear myself screaming, my head resting against the back of the seat, head tilted upwards, tears streaming down to flow into my ears.

"Why?" I whisper into the air, my voice bumping into ceiling of the car.

Where are my parents now ?

I know I have a horrendous idea about where they might be, but I refuse to address it.

Nothing but the need to draw breaths momentarily quiets my helpless crying.
My mind keeps drifting back to Andrew, who I highly doubt would ever make it out in one piece, and what's left of my composure crumbles away.

It doesn't make sense! Nothing does!
If they're actually... gone, where are their bodies ?

The masked guy took advantage of my shocked state and gave orders to the driver, not to stop no matter what happens.

My head rests on my hands, squeezing to the point it hurts, hoping the pain might wake me up from this nightmare.

After a few seconds of crushing my head, awareness of the moving car leaks in, bringing with it a numbing surge of anger.

The driver continues to drive despite the fits I throw, ignoring my yelling for him to stop the car and my hitting of his shoulder with my fisted hand.

Had it not been for the baby's frightened cries, I wouldn't have stopped. It took 5 minutes for her to stop crying, because I couldn't bring myself to even look at her, let alone soothe her.
That is my mother's job. Was.

My hand slaps against my mouth to barricade the distressful sounds, fearing it might upset the baby again. I wouldn't know what to do.
She needs her mother, not her sister.
Only tears continue to flow.

"Your mother said to take your sister and go" I've completely lost control over the floodgate now, my tears becoming more desperate, as if the ferocity of the crying might bring my parents back.

"Go, I'm right behind you" My vision is blurred beyond the point where a few blinks might clear it, so I choose to make no effort to focus on anything, knowing that Andrew's voice will continue to hunt me ceaselessly.
It vowed not stop until he's standing in front of me, without a scratch.