•Chapter 20•

•Word Count: 2,760

Some emotional Mira and Elias moments (=

••••

Pre-inferno, I had been flipping -and yawning- through the pages of my life, chin resting on my hand in a bored pose, waiting for that life-altering plot twist.
My trouble-free life had been a cycle of non ending monotony, that I used to detest but now yearn for.

Now, 8 months post-inferno, chapter after chapter, I'm discovering new things that are posing as killer plot twists but the redundancy makes me fear that the ACTUAL plot twist is still awaiting me out there, with the promise to significantly twist the road of my straightly moving vehicle of life from that point onwards.

So, I have been living the rest of my life fast-flipping through the infinitely paged book to get to that particular part:

And she lived happily ever after. The End.

But I've learned the hard way that turning a blind eye to my problems have proved to introduce new complications that could have been easily avoided had I been more conscientious.

I'm back to assessing my wishlist once again, wishing I had stopped Clara the second I spotted her wiping her eyes this morning.

Élise has long quieted down now, with only residual hiccups she makes from her position on my shoulder, trying to doze off after being worn out from all the strenuous crying.

The car gradually slows down by the curb, the blinker making for the only sound other than my and Élise's hiccups.
Before I'm given the chance to ask why we're stopping, an -eerily silent- ambulance van stops right ahead of us, and the rear doors to the van open and a few paramedics stream out.

The man from the passenger seat opens Clara's door, carries her with a hand under her neck and another behind her knees, and fast-walks toward the back of the van, dropping Clara on a waiting stretcher.

In record time, I'm out of the car, flying towards the van to join Clara.

A paramedic blocks my way with an extended arm, shaking her head at me, but I don't give in, ducking from her hand to to my Clara. Once in, I take the seat near her head.

The paramedic doesn't bother me again, as she and the male paramedic proceed to do their work. My head hits the inside of the van behind me as I heave out a sigh of exhaustion, swishing back and forth with the first movement of the car.

The time the ride takes is eaten up by the paramedics' tending to Clara, and at some point to me and Élise, checking our blood pressures.

With my attention entirely devoted to Clara and Élise's head resting on my left shoulder, I don't see the paramedic sliding next to me.

A sharp sting in my left arm has me involuntarily pulling my arm back with a hiss, "Ow!"

The paramedic silently presses her thumb on my now numb arm, and then she reaches over to do something...

My head feels too heavy to turn to follow her movement, and I have to fight the force that's pulling my eyelids down.

What have you done to me ? I think I ask, but my tongue suddenly feels too weighty, wanting a rest.

The inside of the van shakes, so I focus on one corner, but it swirls in a circular motion, making the idea of a nap so deliciously enticing.

I can hardly keep my eyes open, so I don't fight unconsciousness when it begins tugging my eyelids down, allowing the darkness and promising repose to finally claim my body.