•Chapter 11•

•Word Count: 1,800

"Ladies and Gentlemen, now we request your full attention as the flight attendants demonstrate the safety features of this aircraft" The deep, yet professionally solemn voice calls over the intercom and I prepare myself, casting the equipment I'm allotted to demonstrate a final glance before holding the demo belt in my hands in front of me.

The audience, make-believe passengers, centre their focus on us, making it all more difficult to concentrate.
I take a deep breath, shifting my eyes off the floor, knowing well that our employers are watching us through their screens.

"When the seatbelt light illuminates, you must fasten your seatbelt" He starts off, waiting only a second to ensure me and my fellow trainee at the other aisle have our demo belts at hand.

"Insert the metal fittings one into the other, and tighten by pulling on the loose end of the strap. To release your seat belt, lift the upper portion of your buckle." I hold the demo belt up for the whole demonstration buckling and unbuckling it in rhythm with the instructions.

While the flight attendant -another trainee- assigned to the intercom rattles off the airline's safety advice, I swap the demo belt for the emergency oxygen mask.

"Oxygen and the air pressure are always being monitored. In the event of a decompression, an oxygen mask will automatically appear in front of you.
To start the flow of oxygen, pull the mask towards you" He drones on, my hands working almost frantically as I proceed to wear the oxygen mask, the way I've been trained to do, only slower to allow the presumed passengers to take note of the conventional manner to put it on.

"Place it firmly over your nose and mouth, secure the elastic band behind your head, and breathe normally. Although the bag does not inflate, oxygen is flowing to the mask" He continues on with the directions for assisting your child or fellow passenger in wearing the oxygen mask.

In the meantime, we retrieve the life vest for the next demonstration.
My heart drops when I notice my fellow trainee's slip as he fumbles with the vest, dropping the oxygen mask in the process.
I pretend not to notice, looking straight ahead.

I feel bad for him, as our trainers mentioned how strict the employers are when assessing our training sessions. There are thousands of applicants and trainees, they said, so the chances are already narrow, any slip could easily disqualify you in order to allow for vacancies.

The training goes on for what feels like forever.
One more round to go and I can go back home, I remind myself as I assume my upright stance despite my exhausted self forcing me to slump.
We often have three rounds of training a day, swapping roles each round; the next round is my turn at the intercom.

This is the fourth week into my training course, which has a three month duration.
And since it's a Sunday afternoon, I'm probably gonna be spending the rest of the day studying, and preparing myself for tomorrow.

Tomorrow's definitely gonna be a big day, a voice from the back of my mind reminds me. My heart bounces in excitement for the first time when thinking about school.

•••

Coffee cups in our hands, Joe and I make our way towards the classroom; we're 40 minutes early, so we take the extra time to drink -enjoy- our coffee.

"Are you sure he would cooperate ?" I ask Joe for what sounds like the hundredth time.

"Yes, Mira! He will. Just don't forget the coupon, it's your only winning card" She says, squeezing my hand. "You sure you don't wanna tell me about this ?" She presses, hopeful eyes begging me to elaborate.