•Chapter 9: Part 2•

•Word Count: 1,777

He doesn't seem as surprised when he catches my gaze, because he just looks back through eyes that gleam further when his mouth stretches into a rare smile, I even spot an indentation I didn't know was there.

He continues to talk on the phone, as he goes to take the seat beside Élise, on the opposite side from where I would sit.
Occupied with his phone call, his hand reaches across the table, and he grabs a paper.

It isn't until he holds it up for inspection, that I notice it's the paper I drafted last night, and to my absolute horror, he turns my father's message over on the table so he can read it upright.

I attempt to appear calm while I'm everything but, pouring my coffee into a mug.
For a while, this man had been appearing everywhere and I can't even bring myself to ask him about anything, my mind scorns me.

I don't notice that he's ended the call until he turns to look at me, holding my paper up in the air.

"Homework on a Saturday morning ?" He asks with an easy smile.

"It's a conundrum" I offer with a smile of my own, mine less relaxed than his.

He looks back at the paper, and then at the paper lying on the table -my father's.

"On a wild guess, there's a hidden message somewhere in this-" He says pointing at my father's paper.
"And this is you attempting to work it out" He turns my draft to give me a clear view of my scribbles. I just nod.

"And this is your attempt at flirting" I say holding up his letter, in just the same manner. He throws his head back in a loud laugh, making me realise that this is the first time I've heard him laugh this hard.

A smile and a laugh. If I'm lucky enough, I might get some answers too.

"Forgive me if I creeped you out, but it's not everyday that I encounter a woman with such fluid reflexes and a sophisticated wit" He admits with a smile, pearly whites winking at me. He has the nerve to look sheepish.

I just stand there, having completely forgotten the ability to talk. He motions for the seat across from him.
As though compelled, I place the letter and the croissant on the counter, the urge to eat long forgotten, my belly occupied by something else.

Without asking, I pour him coffee as well, thinking it would be rude not to, and carry it with me to the table.

He accepts the coffee with a subtle 'Thank you' that I return thoughtlessly.

"I have a proposal." He says after taking his first sip. Upon placing his mug, he directs his gaze at me, waiting for my answer.

"And that would be..?" I egg him on.

"I have a few hours before my first meeting for today" He says after taking a good look at his watch, before continuing;

"The café doesn't open until at least two hours from now" My frown at his knowing of the exact time the coffee shop opens disappears immediately once I remember that he's a close friend of Juniper's.

Just for assurance, I glance at the door, which sure enough has the 'ouvre' sign facing the inside of the shop, meaning the 'closed' sign is on full display for passers-by.
I'd like to think Elias missed it.

"We ought to make use of this time to put ourselves out of our queries" He proposes.
I like the sound of that.

"However, I want you to know that I'll answer to the same degree you answer; in other words, should you to attempt a lie about anything or hold back an answer, I would do the same" When he says this, he's looking straight into my eyes, pinning me to the spot.