Four

I argued with grandpa for a while, but somehow I had managed to convince him to let me go. " I cant believe my granddaughter is going to join the Scouts" " I know, but I need to do this. I cant just sit around and try find a job or another husband. I need to try something new and I know I'll be good in the scouts" " Please be safe" " I will" I smiled and hugged him tight. " I'll write to you as often as I can" I knelt down and smiled at the three kids " Your really leaving us?" Armin asked " Dont say it like that, I'm leaving so I can become strong and help take back our home. And I wont be gone that long" " It takes three years to complete military training" Armin sighed.

I pulled Armin into a tight hug, " Armin you know how smart I am, I wouldnt be doing this if I didnt have a good idea" " I know, it's just. It's going to be so different without you" " I promise you'll be fine, you have grandpa to look after you three". I pulled Eren and Mikasa into the hug and squeezed them " I'm going to miss you guys so much, I love all three of you, dont forget that" " We love you too Y/N". I gave them each a kiss and walked away, finding the officer who was taking the new recruits to the training camps.

We arrived late in the night and were shown our cabins and given our uniforms. " You'll be outside but six am, I want you all dressed and clean, standing outside that door, do you understand me?" " Sir yes sir!" We all yelled. There was no time for introductions so we all went to sleep. The next morning we got up and dressed into our fresh uniforms and stood outside in lines. A bald angry looking man stood in front of us " My name is Kieth Shadis, and I will be in charge of breaking you and shaping you into the soldiers I need you to be. If that bothers or scares you then you can take your pissy pants straight to the fields and help with food!".

He stopped in front a random boy and yelled at him " What's your name maggot?" The boy saluted " My name is Ouro Bozad from Wall Sina sir!" " And what's a boy like you doing in my line?" " I'm here to help humanity, sir!" " That's great to hear, I'll put you on the front lines as a snack for the titans!". Damn this guy was gonna be hard on us " What's your name ginger?" " Petra Rall from Wall Sina sir!" " My camp doesn't have time to babysit, do I have to babysit you ginger?!" " Sir no sir!" Poor kid, she's probably around my age. Shadis stopped in front of me and stared " You have a look in your eyes Cadet, what's your name?" " Y/N Arlert! Wall Maria sir!" I saluted.

Everyone around me gasped " I knew there was something different about you Cadet. You saw the war we fight up close and personal, now you know what we're fighting for. Are you going to be another snack for the titans?!" " Sir no sir!" " Then what are you going to do?" " I'm going to kill every last one of them! Starting with the armoured titan". Once introductions were over we were given the rest of the day off to get to know one another.

I sat down at my table and ate my lunch in silence, " Hey your names Y/N right?" I looked up and smiled at the ginger girl from before. " Yeah! And your Petra" " Its nice to meet you". " So were you being serious out there?" I looked up confused to Ouro glaring at me. " You really think you're going to take down every titan, including the armoured one? Ha you must be joking or your just cocky" " Oruo stop, you don't know what shes been through!" Petra yelled.

" No that's true, but at least I know I'm just as scared as everyone else in this joint". " You think I'm not scared?" I asked surprised, " After that first impression of course I dont! If anything I think your a cocky brat with a tragic backstory". " And I'm sensing your a bit of a bitch Ouro, but you don't see me bothering you about it". Perta started laughing and tried to cover it with her hand " Oi! Dont laugh at that!" " I'm sorry Ouro but shes right". Petra and I both started laughing as Ouro yelled at us. I already knew this was going to be a beautiful friendship.

The next morning we were being taught how to use the odm gear, let's just say some of us weren't that good. Ouro fell as soon as he was raised and Petra wobbled for a while before being able to find her balance. Shadis stared at me as I held my pose, almost perfectly still in my gear. " Excellent form Y/N! I have a feeling I'll be meeting a lot of cadets with your fire and dead eyes in the coming years". I was an excellent cadet, I was top of the class in everything from lectures to field work, I excelled in everything.

" How the hell are you so much better than us?!" Ouro yelled at me " Because my brain isnt full of crap like yours Ouro" I shot at him, keeping my eyes on my book. " What are you reading about today?" Petra asked looking at my book " Just re-reading the same book" " About how wonderful the outside world is?" Ouro mocked me. " Ouro dont mock her, it's great she has a passion for this" " Petra why do you always take her side?" " Because she's never the one that starts the arguments!" " Oi! I'm trying to read about the ocean be quiet" " Huh? What's the ocean?" Petra asked.

I couldn't help it and grinned, I moved closer to her and showed her my book. I talked about the ocean for a while, about how theres so much salt in it that not even merchants could get it all out. Then that set me off to talking about glaciers, then mountains, then the desert before Ouro slapped the back of my head. " Oi! Shut up about your stupid book" " Respect your elder dumbass!" " Your not that much older than me!" " I'm almost a year and a half older so shut your mouth before I break it!" " Guys stop, the class is staring!". This is basically how the next thred years were spent.