ICU

"I didn't want those innocent eyes
To watch me fall from grace
Tried to protect youI want to direct you
To keep you from my mistakes."
ICU (Madison's Lullabye); Demi Lovato

-

The next following hours were pure torture for everyone around Hestia, especially for young Harper. She barely left Hestia's room, she was afraid to leave her alone again. She wanted to let her know that she was right here, giving her all the support she may have lacked before. She still had some time before her exams, and she would even postpone them if necessary. Hestia mattered more than anything else.

All these hours of waiting allowed Harper to take a tour into the deepest depths of her mind. On one hand, she felt enormous guilt. It was no secret how fragile Hestia was, and her history with alcohol abuse. She never asked for help, wanting to deal with everything on her own. But when she needed help, everyone was deaf. Hestia was always there for Harper, keeping an eye on her little sister like a guardian angel. And when the roles reversed, the game didn't go by the same rules. But on the other side, Harper couldn't deny how infuriated she was. After Hestia's addiction was no longer a secret, she promised her little sister to not lay hands on a single bottle ever again. Yet she turned a blind eye, violently breaking that promise like it meant nothing. Hestia had always been her sister's biggest role model, the one she's looked up to. Every time Harper needed comfort, a smile, or just someone to play with, she could be sure that Hestia would never fail to be around. Hestia dreaded the possibility that her sister would experience the same as she once did. She wanted her to feel loved, something she had been lacking throughout her entire childhood. When Hestia started drinking, she was doing her best to hide it not from the whole world, but mostly from Harper. In the times of adolescence, it's way too easy to get acquainted with all different vices. After all, younger siblings tend to imitate older ones. And Hestia really wanted to keep her sister from making the same mistakes.

"Harper," she didn't budge an inch despite hearing her father's voice, who was leaning against the door frame, "you've barely eaten since we arrived, sleeping on this small chair. You need to take care of yourself or you won't be just a visitor."

"I'm fine," Harper whispered, her eyes not leaving Hestia's pale face. She hadn't woken up yet, although doctors were convinced she would soon. Despite all concerns, Hestia's state had improved, "I don't want to leave her, not now. I want to be there when she wakes up, so she knows she is not alone this time."

"Harper," she closed her eyes for a moment, feeling her dad's hand placed on her shoulder. She was starving and exhausted, but she needed to keep going for her sister. It wouldn't take long, "go take a walk around, stretch a bit, get some fresh air and something to eat. I will stay here. And if she wakes up, you'll be the first one to know," Harper wanted to oppose and even had some aces prepared under her sleeve. But when her tired eyes met with her dad's full of concern, she knew there would be no point in that. She reluctantly stood up and left the room, giving one last glance towards Hestia. As her dad advised her, she left the hospital building to get supplies of fresh oxygen. It was weird to feel sunshine on her skin again as she was bluntly watching the buzz around the hospital, all the people going in and out, the sound of ambulance sirens, and the smell of cigarettes stressed out nurses and doctors were sending in the air.

After a few minutes of simple staring into the distance, Harper felt that it was time to return back. She was already gone for too long. Her grumbling stomach reminded her that she should look for some food. The hospital's canteen definitely didn't have the capability of a Michelin star restaurant, but that was the last thing on Harper's mind. Her sister was running through it. Things were looking promising but you never know what could happen next. And it was in the stars how serious the aftermath would be. Oh, Hestia, why are you doing this to yourself? Why do you always have to take the road less travelled by?