Dear Society

"Dear society, you've pushed me to the edge
So here's some clarity
The truth is, you're the one who's always there for me
With my daily dose of internet
And all the things that I should quit, but can't."
Dear Society; Madison Beer

-

Soon, the sun started inching towards the horizon. The sky altered to warmer shades, offering marvelous scenery to those who patiently waited. Instead of baby blue with cottony white, colors that prevailed were deep violet mingled with golden yellows, hints of red, and pink peeking out. It resembled a palette of passionate artist yearning for the masterpiece of their lifetime.

People were slowly leaving the place, yet Mick and Hestia stayed. They kept on snacking, simply enjoying each other's company. The almost kiss was deeply stuck in their heads, but they were too shy to open Pandora's box. What if it was all only a misunderstanding that could possibly destroy the beautiful connection they shared? Did it even mean something more meaningful, or was it only a figment of their wildest fantasies?

"You know, it's weird to be here," Hestia spoke up while taking two cartons of ice coffee out of her bag together with a popcorn packet. They had almost eaten all the food from Mick's basket, it was time for round two. She handed one carton to Mick, who took it despite not being the biggest fan of such a beverage, "With you. Alone."

He looked at her with raised eyebrows while stabbing a straw into his coffee, "Why so?" He didn't properly understand the real meaning of her words. This wasn't the first time they were alone in a public place. How was today anything but the same?

"If I did the same thing back home, I would surely become a hot topic on everyone's tongues," she took a sip of her ice coffee, a satisfied grin spreading across her features. She was obsessed with everything the warm weather brought. Life magically became less heavy. As soon as the sun gained more strength, it was time for bucket hats, and ice cream or ice coffee dates on a beach. Only paparazzi photos offering free judgments no one asked for was the only stain on a cloth.

"Do people really care this much about the lives of others?" Mick questioned, his nose scrunched up lightly at the amount of sugar in the coffee, yet he kept sipping. Hestia giggled quietly, she knew he hated it but couldn't put it away. That is what vicious things do to people, it sucks them in, making sure they never think of leaving.

"Human species are curious by nature. It's an escapism from their own lives. They find it fascinating when someone who appears perfect is just like them. And if someone is in trouble...oh it fuels them. Once you taste it, you'll become obsessed, unable to survive another day without your daily dose of internet," she glanced up from her hands in her lap only to find Mick frowning at her. He couldn't understand, of course, how could he? He didn't read what faceless strangers had to say about him. He was told it wasn't worth it, she wasn't. For her, it was a necessary evil, "I've always been addicted to vile things I should have quit in the first second but never did. It's too easy to give in when you feel like the last person on Earth. If there is something that can help you forget all the pain if only for a brief moment, you welcome the savory with open arms. It's wrong, I know but in my world, where everyone is yearning for money and success, the attention is obvious, most of the time even welcoming. The more you have it, and the more you know about every move of grass, the better. LA is full of individuals who moved here with stars in their eyes, hoping to become famous. In any way, because even bad promo is still promo."

"Do you miss Los Angeles?" Hestia took a minute to think. She stared at the lake slowly being swallowed by the darkness, playing with the straw. It seemed like a trivial question. Los Angeles was her home and the only thing she knew until now. After seeing a wholly different world, she wanted to despise the town she was born in. But there was something so magnetizing about the manufactured glitz and glamor.