Stained Glass

"But maybe I need to start takin' my own advice
'Cause my heart's so heavy it's ready to fall out twice
'Cause you will never know what I been through
So you should be a little more gentle with me."
Stained Glass; Madison Beer

-

"Here is my favorite chiquita!" Leticia Zapatero chirped with her typical heavy Mexican accent through the screen of her phone. She was forced to delete all the social media apps for her own good. It was enticing for Hestia to check them because she felt left out. Her attempts were without any success because Nina changed all passwords, taking away the access to them from her. Nina knows her predictable best friend like every street of her hometown. There were, for sure, other ways to outsmart almighty Nina Zapatero. Hestia could easily create a new account and stalk herself from there. But because Nina was also in charge of Hestia's emails, she would find out quicker than you could say sabotage. Of course, she could create a new email, but that seemed like too much effort for one Instagram account that would only hurt her. Besides, Nina would indeed find out anyway, she had eyes even on her back.

"Mama, do you realize that I'm right here?" Nina grunted while eyeing her mother, "and I can hear every word you say?"

"Yes, I do. But I haven't seen Estia for two months already and I miss her! I see you every day and you are only getting on my nerves," Leticia smiled, looking directly through a screen. No woman had such a big mouth as she did. Words were coming out without a filter. Nina got some of the sassiness from her, but not enough to jeopardize her dream job of being a PR. She got the right genes from her father, Lorenzo. He was a manager and a great professional. Polite, determined, and calculated. He was much older than Leticia, yet they loved each other dearly. He passed away 5 years ago. Hestia was there for both Nina and Leticia every minute of a day, Lorenzo was her family too. Being their mental support, Hestia managed to forget her own pain for a short period of time.

"I sometimes wonder if you would rather have Hestia as your daughter instead of me," Hestia shook her head, not liking what Nina had said. Even her own parents couldn't handle her, and they created her. Leticia deserved a daughter like Nina, she was making her proud with everything she did. She wasn't a failure dragging all her unsuccess like a ball and chain.

"She wouldn't help herself too much, to be honest. We both are a hot messes," Hestia stepped in when Leticia was about to answer. Leticia loved Nina more than anything in the world. They had a perfect mother-daughter relationship full of affection and banter. Hestia had always been envious of them, she wished to experience it one day too.

"Yes, but both in a different way, so there is a perfect balance. Of course, I wouldn't want only one of you, don't worry amor," Leticia ruffled Nina's hair a bit, earning another grunt from her daughter. Hestia watched them silently, feeling a ping of jealousy inside, "you both are my precious daughters. Aaaanyways, Estia, how are you holding up, all alone in Switzerland?"

"It's a really pleasant change, to be honest. I spend every day in the park because nature here is absolutely gorgeous," Hestia quickly looked around a local park that now became her favorite. She always brings a blanket to relax, read a book, or write. All the chirping around had such a calming effect on her suffering soul. No unwanted thoughts had a chance to creep in, at least not as often. She wished there was such a place in Los Angeles. Maybe there was, only she didn't have time to find it.

"Every day?! Dios mio, isn't it cold there? It's the middle of February! And Switzerland seems like a cold country." Leticia shivered upon the thought of freezing temperatures and even snow. None of this practically occurs in the sun-drenched City of Angels.