Chapter Thirty-seven

6:43am, Sunday November 15th

I blinked, stretching my arms above my head before sucking them back beneath the blankets. The warm body beside me shifted and wrapped his arms around my middle, nuzzling into the back of my neck and sighing softly.

"Good morning," James murmured. "Why are you awake so early?"

I shrugged and rolled over to face him, shuffling down under the duvet to rest my cheek on his bare chest. He ran his fingers through my hair. As if on cue, there was a loud beeping coming from outside and a truck honked right before someone started shouting.

"Ah, that's why you're awake." James sighed again, this time more dramatically. "Want me to get your meds so you can try go back to sleep for half an hour?" he asked.

"It's ok, I can have them when I get up," I replied thickly, my voice croaky with sleep. James ignored this and extracted himself from around me, shifting me onto Hale, who cuddled into me without waking up.

"I'll be right back." He kissed my head then headed downstairs, closing the door quickly to keep the warmth in. I hope he turns on the heaters and maybe the fire. Hale mumbled something in his sleep and rolled onto his back. I pulled the blanket up to my shoulders before sitting myself up against the headboard.

Our bed is not nearly old enough to warrant a new one, but I know Ollie wants one of those expensive padded headboards that look like they belong in show homes. The bed we currently have is a king, and it's definitely big enough as long as a couple of us are cuddling. Lucky Ollie and I both like to sleep cuddled into someone – often each other.

"You alright?" Cas asked, opening one eye to look at me from his pillow.

I nodded and hummed, reaching over and putting my fingers in his hair, tugging softly. He hummed happily and closed his eyes again as James came back with the half-glass of orange juice and some water to wash it down with.

"Here you go. I've set the timer, and the heaters are on in the living room. It's pretty cold down there." He climbed back into bed beside me and pulled me onto his lap so I sat between his thighs. I swallowed the juice in one go and pulled a face. That one was gross.

"What are you doing today?" I asked quietly, leaning my head back against his shoulder.

"Relaxing. It's been a hectic week." James rested his hands on my tummy.

I hummed. "Hopefully I won't end up in hospital this week."

"Fingers crossed. Though we know what you can and can't handle now, and that some days are going to look worse than they are." He paused. "We're all getting better at figuring this out."

"I was so scared Ollie would have to quit his job," I admitted. I don't think I've ever voiced that thought before, even in my own head.

"I was as well. It's probably lucky that Cora is at boarding school and we only have to worry about her coming home once a week instead of every night with new germs." He sighed and kissed the back of my head.

"Is Cora's bedroom warm?"

He hummed and nodded. "They put a heater in there last night and she has many blankets. I just checked on her."

"She'll be exhausted. I think she had a good week, though."

"I hope she enjoys herself there. I know boarding school is a big change, but considering she was in the system in a... less than stellar home only last month, I think the stability will be good for her."

"The system wreaks havoc on everything that is normal," I said, frowning. "It makes you doubt your worth every single day."

James stiffened behind me and buried his head in the crook of my neck. "I'm sorry you went through that."