Chapter Twenty

8:12am, Thursday October 29th

Someone nudged my shoulders. I screwed up my face, yawning and reaching up to scratch my nose. Someone chuckled beside me and I blinked, yawning again. I rubbed my eyes and tried to pick the gunk out.

"Good morning, Beautiful," Hale said, smirking. He bent down and kissed my head, grinning. I smiled and pushed myself into a sitting position, taking a deep, shuddering breath. It's still an effort to breathe, I thought to myself as I rubbed my eyes again. Hale sat on the bed beside me. He looked tired.

"When did you get here?" I asked softly.

"Just now. Ollie is visiting before he goes to work," he replied. "We got kicked out shortly after you fell asleep last night, though James got to stay a little longer to tidy up your room. He pulled rank on the nurse." Hale rolled his eyes, but I laughed softly. James pulling rank to stay here is something I'd like to see.

"Good morning!" Ollie exclaimed as he darted into the room. I chuckled dryly and kissed his cheek. "Feeling better?"

"Little nervous," I said, ducking my head. I hope transfusions don't hurt. Ollie's face fell, but he regained composure and smiled.

"It's ok to be nervous. I've got to go, but text me after, yeah? I want to know how it goes." He grinned at me.

"Have a good day at work," I murmured, glancing behind him as James and Casper came in with a tray of coffees. Ollie took his, kissed James on the cheek as a thank you, and trotted out, his bag bouncing against his hip.

"He's happy," Casper commented, handing me a hot chocolate. I took a deep breath and nodded, breathing in the sweet smell. Hale thanked Casper softly and sipped his drink, likely coffee.

"Feeling alright?" James asked.

I nodded and Hale knitted his brows, but didn't say anything.

"I've gotta head up to work, but I can come down and see you at lunch time," James said. I nodded, humming. I'd like that. James smiled and kissed me. The door behind him opened and a nurse pushed a trolley in. The smell made my nose twitch and stomach churn. I hope I don't have to eat whatever she's about to give me.

"Good morning," she said. I watched her get a try and check the number written on top, then put it on my table and swung it around in front of me.

"Thank you," I mumbled as she left. James took the lid off for me and I eyed the pitiful looking scrambled eggs, pancake, and strips of bacon. The cup of juice was less than half full. "I thought hospital food was supposed to be good?" I looked at James.

"Who told you that?" He chuckled. "Eat the bacon, they cook that in an oven so it won't be oily." I scowled and shuffled back, pulling the table with me. Hale got up and plopped down on the couch.

"What time is the, uh, the transfusion?" I asked weakly, nibbling on a crispy corner.

"10am. You have a bit of time to wake up and digest," Casper said, smiling. I sighed and held my drink, liking the warmth spreading through my fingers. My head spun when I tried to take a sip and the cup slipped from my fingers. James lurched, grabbing it before it spilt.

"Sorry," I slurred, blinking. Casper and Hale exchanged looks. "Don't feel well. Don't wanna eat," I mumbled, pushing the food away.

"That's ok. You wanna lie back down?" James said, putting the cup aside and swinging the table away from me. I nodded and went to curl onto my side, but a wet feeling throbbed in the back of my nose.

"James—" I put my hands under my nose just as the blood started pouring out. I didn't know noses could bleed this much. James grabbed something and put it on my lap, tilting my head over it.