Venezia

Venice at night had never seemed more beautiful than it did as she walked into her destiny that evening. Her heart was up in her throat, but it never showed on her face or in her posture. She had been laced up tightly in an embroidered gown bearing her family colors of light blue and gold. A white veil of fine lace lay over her face, shielding the groom, who had yet to lay eyes upon her, from seeing her beautiful face. It was thin and heart-shaped with a small, button nose, full, pouty lips, and bright emerald green eyes large and framed by long, dark lashes. But the veil shrouded all of that, and if she could hardly see out of it, then the likelihood he could see in was slim, but that was the point. He had not chosen her at all, and by the virtue of custom, he would not see her until the priest had instructed him he might remove the veil and see his betrothed.

A trumpet sounded, and a loud voice rang out, signifying her entrance into the cathedral: "The bride: Lady Natalia Isabella Romano, of House Romano of Sicily."

Natalia took a step forward and swallowed down the nerves that had become a ball in her throat. After three weeks of grueling trials and what felt more like interrogations than interviews with the king and queen and many staff members, they had crowned her victor. She now would bring tremendous honor to her family and become crowned princess wed to the crowned prince.

Her emerald eyes squinted, trying to see the man that she had only heard of before this day. The rumors whispered amongst girls who had tried for his hand were that he was quite handsome, but the veil made it quite difficult to decipher. Natalia was a beauty with chestnut ringlets spiraling down her back, a few of them pinned back away from her face, and blue and gold ribbons plaited into a braid which circled her head. Her mother's sapphire necklace hung about her neck, shimmering crystals dipping into her cleavage. Olive skin bubbled out of the top of the corseting, full, round breasts which were made more so by the tight cinching to achieve her minuscule waist.

She pursed her rouged lips as she surveyed the large number of people who had gathered to watch the sight. Though the veil obstructed much of her view, she could tell the cathedral was packed to the gills. Passing her own parents at the front of the aisles of pews, without even glancing, she knew they had looks of pride painted on their faces.

How could they not be beaming? She had been the victor to win the hand of the prince, sent here by her finishing school to succeed on behalf of their training's testament and her family's good name.

The Romanos had a rich family history of prosperity. They were about as well off as one could be in Italy without being true royal blood. They owned vineyards in Tuscany and Sicily and summer homes there as well, but hardly visited. Her father's father was born and bred in Sicily, where the first vineyards had begun, and so her house name originated from there, even if she hadn't seen the place in over five years.

To the credit of not seeing the homestead, she had spent the last four of her eighteen brief years locked behind strict walls of a convent-looking hall. They had taught her to speak eloquently, to dance, to walk, to draw, to paint, to play the piano, to sing, and to be a model of chastity while still being appealing to all men. To eat and drink and sit and stand as any well-mannered lady should all to prepare for this night.

Less than a month prior, she had come before the king and queen in a stringent selection process before being congratulated for becoming betrothed. For three straight weeks, she and dozens of other girls had waited impatiently within the parlors and drawing rooms of the castle as two women designated by the king and queen had meticulously combed over them.

First, they asked each girl to stand all in a line organizing them from tallest to shortest. Once sized up head to toe by two attendants, starting at one end of the line and crossing paths, looking at them one by one, they touched the girls who did not meet whatever requirements on the shoulder and as a sign to leave quietly. The two greying ladies laced up tightly from throat to boots culled one hundred girls in the first afternoon.

Those who remained were asked to attend a luncheon the next day. They watched every girl as they ate, drank, and spoke. The slightest mistake in usage of fork or napkin earned them a gentle touch on the shoulder. Twenty more girls did not return.

The third day comprised dancing. Music played, and the ladies began the Pavane, then a Branle. Then, they broke into groups for more careful observation and more energetic dances like the Galliard. Again, several girls were quietly removed. The fourth and fifth days were group questions. The girls were asked to discuss topics in small groups with a proctor, and several more were let go.

By the second week, there were only two dozen girls remaining. It was at this point things became much more serious. They each had to sit down with the queen and king and answer questions about why they would be the best fit for crown princess and their son.

The prince was an only child, and securing his future and heirs was crucial. They asked how many siblings the girls had. If their mothers or grandmothers had difficulty with childbirth and inquired about their own health.

When Natalia admitted she only had one brother, she was afraid that might disqualify her. Some of the other girls had half a dozen siblings or more. Surely that strengthened their candidacy as healthy mothers.

However, those with the largest families were let go. Those who had no siblings were also let go, and after one last day of questions, Natalia found herself betrothed to a man she'd never met.

Preparations were already underway before the princess-to-be had even been decided, and only moments after being congratulated, she was told they would hold the wedding in under a week. It all seemed so fast, but now that it was here, time stood still.

She had been told the prince was away on business, but would return the next evening for the wedding. Of course, who could tell how much truth there was to it. She knew both he and she had very little say in the 'choosing.' And now, here she stood, face to face with him, only a veil between their destinies.