Congratulations

Eventually he resigned himself to getting up and putting a pillow in his place for her to hold. Then he closed the door silently as he went off into the palace. He first informed the necessary staff of the good news. Once that was complete, he kneeled before his parents in the throne room.

"It is done," he said, head still bowed.

"Already?" His mother questioned.

"Yes." Marcello raised his head. "She is most certainly with child, and she's taking the news of everything better than I could have expected."

"So you've told her?" His father questioned, motioning for his son to rise.

Marcello nodded as he did. "She was afraid, of course. However, she is drinking the blood, and she still seems smitten with me. She's stronger than I ever expected a human to be. But—"

"But?" His father raised a brow.

"I won't put her through this more than once. When asked, I informed her if we had a girl... she would be free to choose her fate. I wouldn't make her go through the process twice. Nor would I force her to be turned unless she wished it." He took an unneeded breath to steady himself before adding, "I'm falling in love with her, and seeing her suffer..."

His mother sighed in return. "Then let us hope it is a boy. Please give our congratulations to your wife." Marcello nodded and excused himself, leaving the throne room. They hadn't agreed to the terms, but they hadn't outright rejected them either. For the moment, he took that as a positive outcome. If it became necessary, he would fight them about it later.

Next, he needed to speak to the royal physician. Doctor Dellucci was an elderly-looking man with white hair and a hunched back. "Come in! Come in!" The old man waved as Marcello dawned his door.

"I'm here to speak to you about Natalia," he informed him, standing awkwardly in the corner instead of sitting as the doctor gestured for him to.

"Is your bride already with child? Congratulations. You've fulfilled your contractual agreement." He told him, putting on a pair of spectacles and pulling out a large box.

"Yes, and she's already... uncomfortable." That was an understatement.

"Ah! So you've come for my help? Here." He handed the large leather-bound box to Marcello before opening the top and pointing to various things. Marcello was then treated to another lengthy talk on some of the initial changes Natalia might feel, along with various ailments and medicines that were available for her if she wanted them and the dosages one should take for the corresponding effect.

Before he left, the older man slapped his arm. "I know this is frightening, but it is also an exciting time. Congratulations and should you need me, I'm but a call away."

He took a leisurely stroll, carrying the box back to his bedroom, a little more elated because of the congratulations and positivity from everyone that he had spoken to. His mind drifted as he whistled through the hall until he realised someone was standing right in front of him: a maid, somewhat tanned considering she was an impure, raven black hair and chocolate brown eyes staring him down with an annoyance and anger that he had been trying to avoid.

"Sienna, this is not the time. We knew this was going to happen. You cannot be angry now!" He moved to step around her, but she stepped in front of him once more.

"So now that your whore is here and pregnant, you can just drop me like that?"

"She's not a whore. She's my wife. If anything, in this situation, you would be the whore."

That was the wrong thing to say. She reared back and slapped him across the face. He grabbed her hand and pinned her against the wall, eyes glaring down at her.