In Case You Didn't Know

"You hide your torment behind a beautiful smile, but if you only knew, your heartache throbs in my chest

"You hide your torment behind a beautiful smile, but if you only knew, your heartache throbs in my chest. Your tears swell in my eyes and your scars burn into my soul." 

~☠️~🌹~☠️~

The boys were standing at the beach staring at what use to be Reggie's home. "A bike shack right where my house used to be." He sighed. "Right here." 

"Yeah, I'm sorry man." Luke patted his friend on the chest.

"They made the Meyersons' house into a noddle shop. Why couldn't they have made mine a pizzeria or something?" 

"They tore down the whole neighborhood." Alex gestured towards the empty, but crowded area that no longer held the building they grew up knowing. 

"I guess my folks are gone."

"No, everyone's gone." Alex gained a confused look from Reggie, not fully understanding what his blonde friend was insulating. "Twenty-five years, gone. Friends, family, Bobby, Em, everyone." 

Luke could feel his dead heart crack at the mention of his sister, as his mind flashed back to the one day he regrets the most. Remembering the shouting and broken promises he made to her before ultimately doing the one thing he always said he would never do to her, his little dahlia, when she was only a few minutes old. 

"I guess that vegetarian lucked out." Reggie's mindless conversation was what Luke was brought back to after making a note to visit his old house to see maybe he could catch a glimpse of his little sister. "What do you think happened to him?" 

"He probably just got old like everybody else and moved on." Luke felt himself say angrily back towards his friends.

Earning a glare from his blonde friend. "Dude, how are you so casual about all of this? Don't you wanna figure out what happened?" 

"Let's be real for a second." He said angrily back, not liking his tone, knowing full well he wasn't calm. "It's not like we were that close to our families. My folks always regretted buying me that guitar." 

Alex and Reggie knew not bring up the one thing they all knew that was on their minds, as they briefly stood they're in silence thinking about the little brunette that they all missed. Luke let out a cough. "Reggie, your parents were literally a fight away from a divorce. Alex, I..." He hesitated, not knowing what to fully say. "Alex, your parents were never cool again after you told them you were gay." 

"Ok, none of us had it great. All right, but at least we had something, you know what do we have now? And before you say cool teleportation skills, just know that I'm not entirely ok with that either." Alex shouted, looking more at Luke, before whispering/speaking to Reggie. "All right? It tingles. In weird places."